Saturday, June 18, 2022

FACT OR FICTION? STORIES GALORE

   Some old legs didn't allow any golfing but the Kornerman sure enjoyed all the camraderie at the recent Monte Anderson golf outing at Cedar Pointe. I was an invited guest. 

   Monte, BHS-69, passed way too early but it was his death that sparked an annual charitable get-together of old classmates, teammates and friends........and, my oh my, the stories that made the rounds, some true and some that, perhaps, leaned a little the other direction. Nevertheless, golf was played, beverages flowed and the accompanying smiles and outright guffaws were something everyone seemed to enjoy in remembrance.

   I sat at a table with Kelly McMullan, BHS-67, Steve Fagan, Mike Sundall, BHS-68, and Al Dannatt, BHS-66, most of the hour or so that I was there. I know I'll miss naming some that came by or were in attendance but to give you an idea.......there was Marty Dannatt, BHS-68, Todd Moorman, BHS-76, Jack Rusnak, BHS-67, Jackie Rinehart, BHS-63, Tim Johnson, BHS-83, the Bollenbaughs, Marge, BHS-76, and Kenny, BHS-73, the Rinehart's, Gayle and Marty, BHS-65, and Doug Nauman, BHS-83, an old neighbor of mine, who I hadn't seen since I watched him play basketball for the Drake Bulldogs.

  I'll tell you this too........there will be others who read this that were not there who certainly wished they were, to soak up all the historical rhetoric. Tom Peterson was one. I informed him and he immediately went into shock and dismay with, "I wish I had known."

   Speaking of Peterson, BHS-67, he wrote of some Rippey remembrances. "Rick Neely, BHS-67, and I also played for Rippey, I think at the same time as Ace Dannatt, but maybe that was the following year. I remember Jack Teagarden, BHS-67, played when I did as I had an opportunity to pitch  in relief against the Falcons. I was lucky enough to strikeout Steve Crandell, BHS-66, and hit Kelly McMullan with a curveball. Several of the '67 BHS state champion players went to and restarted baseball at Boone Junior College in 1968. Harold Johnson was the coach."
K-----K
 
   At the time the Des Moines Area Community College softball team was playing in the national tournament in Alabama recently  I was thinking how unfortunate it was that folks "back home" in Boone weren't able to hear the games locally on the radio. However, I understand completely what a difficult task that would be these days......worry about covid, the tremendous expense of housing and feeding an announcer for several days, in addition to any technical expenses that I'm completely unaware of.

   Things were much different in the 50's/60's. I recall at least three times that local radio was able to broadcast out-of-state contests.
   The Boone Merchants fast pitch softball team won the state championship in 1958 and entered regional play in Springfield, MO. As I've mentioned before, I was on that team pretty much in name only. In fact, I was such an important player, Manager Everett Long, BHS-49, suggested that rather than join the team roster for the regional, I travel down with them and broadcast their games back to Boone, and that's what I did.
   The Merchants were also involved in another game I broadcast. They traveled to Aurora, IL to face the Sealmasters, who were simply the National fast pitch champions. I don't recall exactly......it might have been a doubleheader since the Boone team had traveled so far. Anyway, I was there to broadcast that game or games back to Boone.
   The Sealmasters star pitcher, the best fast pitch hurler in the world at the time, was Harvey Stuerkel. The Boone team collected exactly one hit. As I recall, Merchants outfielder Kenny Knowles, BHS-52,...... ducked out of the way..... of an inside pitch, and the ball, somehow, hit his bat and went into short right field in just the right spot for Boone's lone hit against Stuerkel.
   Then, of course, in 1962, the Boone Babe Ruth All Star team won the state and regional championships to become one of just eight Ruth teams in the world to earn a berth in the Babe Ruth World Series in Bridgeton, NJ. It was a long trip and I did not broadcast those games because I was the manager of that team. I don't recall exactly who did broadcast the two games the Boone team played there but they were aired on local radio back to central Iowa.
K-----K

   BOONE CONNECTED/AREA DEATHS
 
   John McGee, 82, Arvada, CO. BHS-58. His wife, Sherri, survives.
  
   Thomas Doyle Brekke, 64, Ames. Born in Ames. AHS-77. As a son lovingly described him, "Dad was the least handicapped, handicapped person you could ever meet." He worked for the DOT from 1977-2008 but he had much more than that to offer......as a longtime member of the Jaycees, a counselor at Camp Sunnyside and as a youth sports coach. He was also a volunteer speaker about bullying, acceptance and what it was like to be disabled. In the face of much familial criticism and objections, he and Sue Shuey, BHS-78, were married in 1980. Eventually, he was completely embraced by her family. Tom had a passion for all kids, especially his own, and the Green Bay Packers. He was the life of the party for many years during his famous ISU football tailgates. From his wheelchair, he bowled and played football and basketball with the "kids." Tom simply refused to live a life that was defined by his disability. Survivors include Sue, as well as a son, a daughter, a sister AND some current or former Boone Shuey's. His in-laws, Sue's parents, were Ken, BHS-56, and JoAnn Shuey, both deceased and her brothers are Stephen, BHS-79, and Monti Shuey, BHS-81.
  
    Joyce Ann Olson, 85, Pinellas Park, Florida. Born in Hampton. Dayton HS-54. Earned teaching degrees from Iowa State Teachers and Drake University and taught first grade for 42 years at Boxholm and Dayton elementary schools. She retired in 1996. Married Dean Olson in 1956 and the couple resided in Dayton for 54 years before moving to Florida. Two daughters survive. Local memorial services are pending.
   
   Roberta "Bobbi" Lynn Riordan Carlson, 61, Madrid. Born in Boone. BHS-79. Married Gary Warren in 1979 and the couple later divorced. Graduated from DMACC in 1999 as an LPN. For over 20 years, she worked as an LPN. There are several Boone survivors, daughters Jenelle Warren and Carissa Nickell, a sister, Cindy Waters and brothers, Mike and Jerry Riordan all of Boone. Services in Boone.
   
   Irene Lucille Scholl Delp, 92, Ogden. Born in South Dakota. Platte HS. Married Warren J. Delp in 1949. The couple farmed south of Jefferson and then in rural Greene County. When they retired, they moved to Ogden. A daughter and two sons survive. Services in Ogden.
 
K-----K
   Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....
kelleyskorner1 at gmail.com.
   
  

   


No comments:

Post a Comment