Wednesday, May 25, 2022

MEMORY AFTER MEMORY

   It began with, "you probably don't remember me but I certainly remember you and I'm quite aware of your blog."
   Thus began a full, three-page, single spaced recital of numerous Boone memories. One show and tell won't cover enough so, in several coming Korner editions, we'll be "looking back" at some times and places, perhaps, forgotten but soon remembered.
   The letter came from Fred Groat, BHS-62, who lives in Chicago.
   Fred wrote, "I've lived in Chicago for many years but still have a great love for Boone, and very little for Chicago. My family moved to Boone in 1958 when my father, Fritz (F.E.) Groat, acquired the John Deere dealership. My mother was Jane Groat and my only sibling was my brother, Douglas, BHS-65, who is deceased. When moving to Boone, I enrolled in the eighth grade at the old junior/senior high at  Seventh and Crawford. Some of my teachers were Hal Lyness, Ray Lamb, Helen Henry and Vaughn Thornburg."
   "I remember reading in your blog about the lot at the SE corner of Eighth and Tama and there was some confusion or a question about a John Deere store. That is where my father had his John Deere dealership and Russell Iron Works was on the west side of Tama."
   "I enjoyed your recent story about the Westfall's, Nancy Gurrola, BHS-60, and her brother, Fritz, BHS-63, and their parents Dr. Bill and Jeanette. The mention of Chad Rinehart, BHS-2003, also caught my attention. His parents, of course, were Marty and Gayle and Chad, an All-American lineman, came by his football skills honestly cause his dad was a super star Toreador running back. Marty was a key player for the incredible three consecutive years, 1962-63-64, when Boone High beat Ames in football. Marty and my brother were close friends from their early days at Bryant through BHS graduation."
   "Speaking of sports, Toreador-ettes, remember? FIVE syllables. How many other five-syllable mascot names have there been in Iowa high schools? That's a great Iowa sports trivia question. Most people would say, "who cares?" But of those who might be interested, most would probably guess none but I actually know of one other. Its something fun to talk about."
   EDITOR'S NOTE: The previous "mentions" are a sample of numerous topics included in Fred's letter......all of which can be extended into various directions, individually, and containing much more detail. Even then, we haven't really hit on what he considered his number one topic. He wrote, "there is a specific topic that triggered me to write to you, the story you wrote about internationally famous journalist from Boone, Richard Longworth. I confess, it was over a year ago when I put that topic and this letter to you on my "To Do" list. Now, that I've finally started, though, many other topics have come to mind. I am an extremely nostalgic person who has wonderful and numerous memories of my days in Boone."
   One mention of Longworth recalled that he actually had the "bug" for journalism when in grade school. Richard founded the "Sixth Grade Siren" school newspaper while attending Page school. That brought up another subject. Doug wrote, "I remember Page was the school that kids from the south side of town attended. When we moved to South Boone Street in 1960, Page was physically dilapidated and appeared to be in the worst condition of all the neighborhood grade schools. There was quite a controversy about renovating or replacing it."
   That's it for this edition.........to be continued......later.
K-----K
  OPENING NIGHT IS TONIGHT FOR THE BOONE MUNICIPAL BAND CONCERT. AT MC HOSE AT 7:30 P.M.
K----K
  BOONE CONNECTED/AREA DEATHS
  Ian Marcel Monti, 28, Ogden.
  Esther Minnie Katharina Sprecher, 101, Boone/Eastern Star. Born near Boone. St. Paul's Lutheran School. Married Carl Sprecher in 1944. Carl returned from military service in 1946 and the couple spent the rest of their married life farming near Boone. She excelled in a variety of needlecrafts and was also known for her cake decorating and flower arranging. Survivors include a daughter and two sons. Services in rural Boone.
   Donna Steininger Smith, 96, Boone. Born in Boone. BHS-43. Married James Smith in 1945. Worked at Bourne's and 3M. Also helped on the farm. The couple moved to Mizzouri for a time but returned to Boone in 1997. Survivors include a son, a daughter, Diane Cox, of Boone and a Boone grandchild, Isha Casey. Services in Boone.
   Richard Smith, 73, Ogden.
K-----K
   Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment