Friday, February 10, 2023

IT HAPPENS

     "Mo, you got spoofed." That's what Loren Frazier, BHS-58, wrote me BUT, I have news. That's one time of hundreds/thousands that has occurred to me in my almost 88 years.

      He was referring to a recent thing we had posted about the fact that February, 2023, couldn't come again in your lifetime because it happens just once  every 823 years. If you look at the calendar, you'll see that there are only four dates in each day of the week this February. Its called a Miraclein.

     But, here comes Loren to explain why we got spoofed. "The truth is, there are four of each day of the week in February every year, EXCEPT that in leap years, there are five of one of the days."

K-----K

     Ron Hopkins, BSH-59, wrote, "my notes show I was introduced to your blog by Jerry Manriquez, BSH-57, and I don't remember exactly why, but I am thankful and have thoroughly enjoyed it. A little research revealed my first email to you, about the Korner, was dated July 12, 2010, only a few months after you began it. I have many fond memories of my years in Boone and feel a pleasant nostalgia from so many of your Korners. Hope you'll keep it up."

K-----K

     Good old Ozark Vern (Modeland that is, BHS-50) has a memory I can't recall at all. He wrote, "remember when a weather balloon dropped its payload on South Boone Street in 1961 or so. It came down in the dining room of a house at 500 South Boone Street. As I recall, I was watching the balloon from Webster City, after someone called in the sighting, and wondered what it was. From KJFJ radios back door on Highway 30 that silvery tear drop was quite visible to us as it burst and floated out of sight. It took about 10 minutes to verify what it was. Now such a thing causes media and political hysteria."

    On second thought, Vern came back with, "I think it happened closer to 1954 or so. I went to WHO radio in 1955 and it predated that."

K-----K

     John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "your readership numbers could show low since I, for one, only read each issue on publication but catch up a week or two at a time. Secondly, I was thinking you write about everybody else but why did you move so often?"

     John was referring to the fact that on the blog there's a short bio that shows I was born in Eldora and have also lived in Aplington, LaMoille, Marshalltown, Washington Iowa and, for the last 75 years or so, in Boone.

     O.K. here's the "why." I was born in Eldora and my dad was a teacher and coach at Eldora and Aplington. He then became the Superintendent, teacher, coach, janitor and everything else at LaMoille, located just east of Marshalltown and between M-town and State Center. 

     Unlike today, the education field didn't pay very well so my dad left LaMoille to become the Assistant Manager of a Spurgeon's store in Marshalltown. He was not draft eligible and the manager of the Spurgeon's in Washington Iowa was called into service and was replaced by my dad's promotion there. When the former manager completed his military duty and returned, my dad remained in Washington but left Spurgeon's and became an insurance salesman.

    My mother was from Boone and my dad from Ames and in 1947-48 they took advantage of an opportunity to "come home".......purchasing a suburban grocery and house next door (on Crawford near 17th street) for a total package of $13,000. He operated that grocery, built a new one (the Superette) on the north side of 17th street between Crawford and Carroll for a number of years before closing it and then working as a library or study hall supervisor and assistant baseball coach at BHS until retirement.

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment