Saturday, June 26, 2021

MORE UNI TALK (Part one)

     Continuing a discussion about what is now the University of Northern Iowa.

     In a recent edition, the Kornerman had pondered a change in our obituaries. More mature (older) individuals who have passed but attended the Cedar Falls based school were there when it had a different name. As a result, we would always add (now UNI) for clarification.

     We were wondering if it was about time to forget that special identification. Apparently not.

     Tom Canfield, BHS-53, wrote, "I attended three education institutions to get my Masters Degree!!! (1) Iowa State Teachers College. (2) State College of Iowa and (3) the University of Northern Iowa.

     Then there was this from Mark Campbell, BHS-67. "As for UNI and Cedar Falls, I worked for State Police Radio and had a floating shift so I drove a school bus part-time. One of my runs was picking up driver ed students from Cedar Falls High School and transporting them to the driving range at UNI. It was a marvelous training facility with stop lights and even a skid pan. All the instructors were wrestling coaches. Keith Young and Gene Doyle were the most memorable. Keith was the first four-time National Champion back in the late 40's, early 50's. Alas, he died a few years ago of complications from alzheimers. I met him at my brother-in-laws installation in the UNI Hall of Fame. My brother-in-law is Ken Snyder, who took the Division 2 champon

No comments:

Post a Comment