Sunday, September 8, 2024

MEMORIAL PARK - What a scene

     Jack Mustapha Jr., the greatest baseball pitcher ever produced in the Boone community, passed away February 21, 2024, at the age of 76 in Pleasant Hill, IA.

     Jack was producer of an extra deluxe fastball and some extraordinary complimentary pitches as well.  His consecutive no-hit performances pitched, particularly in tournament play, became legendary. He led the Boone High School baseball team of 1965 to a state championship and eventually entered the State of Iowa High School Baseball Hall of Fame. 

     Saturday, at Memorial Park, a small, intimate group, less than 12, mainly family members, gathered to memorialize and reminisce about Jack's history with that mound and that park. Jack's wife Janice, sister Karen Mustapha Langmade, BHS-58, were there while long time BHS baseball coach Rick Davis, who was Musty's catcher for hundreds of his games, and Kelly McMullan, a member of the '67 team also attended.

     Jo and I were invited to attend and were happy to do so.......although I was limited to sitting on "my" bench rather than trying to trudge out to the "action scene," the pitcher's mound. My bench, by the way, was one of three gifted in my honor during "Mo Kelley day," April 21, 2018......my gosh, six years have passed already?

     I could see and tell from my distance there were hugs and laughs and yes, tears, as story after story were told about this Toreador legend, along with some very talented teammates, who dominated Iowa High School baseball in the mid to late 1960's. BHS, of course, won the 1967 state championship as well as the '65 crown.

     I, the Kornerman, have an extra long history with Memorial park. At age 13, I started playing American Legion baseball there, then, later, was a 25-year Babe Ruth coach there and for many years, broadcast Toreador games and followed up with Boone News Republican stories that developed there.

     I'll conclude, by promoting, with great ferver, this old but fantastic part of this almost unbelievable park system we possess in our city. I must admit, as I have aged and have found it more difficult to manage appearances at some of my most favorite venues, its been quite some time since I made the decision I could no longer, personally, attend Toreador athletic events.

     But, on this occasion, I couldn't resist......and we're so happy we did attend. We parked close and I walked a rather short distance to "my bench" to view the distant proceedings as well as possible AND we were both completely overwhelmed by the beauty of this park. Yes, I imagine its possible the fact we had been away for quite some time skewed our thinking a bit. BUT STILL.....

     Rick Davis commented, "this is as good, as beautiful a high school baseball field that there is in the entire state of Iowa." And, he added, its not just the ambience of the park itself, its also the surrounding environment.....particularly this time of year."

     I, the Kornerman, suggest it would be well worth you and your family's time to take time for a short trip to 19th and Greene for a view of this beautiful facility. You don't like baseball?  I still think you'd find this is an absolute gem.....a "very cool" part of our community.

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa, 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....https://kelleyskorner1@blogspot. com.

    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment