Friday, December 15, 2023

AGAIN......THIS IS "My Kind of Town"

     In the December issue of Trail Tales, the Boone County Historical Society President Sue Kruckenberg wrote, "If you missed them (recent speeches by Charles Irwin, Kevin Mungons and Mo Kelley) and would like to view these interesting talks, they are taped; come to the Larry Adams Research Room on the first floor of the History Center and view them." 

     That's a wonderful opportunity for those who reside close to Boone.

     The following is the repeat of a small portion of that speech that I, the Kornerman, delivered at the Society in October.

++++++++++++

     I imagine, due to my newspaper, radio, TV and MC experiences, people have asked, "Why do you stay in Boone?" In other words, why not seek more fame and fortune elsewhere?

    I have an easy answer to those questions. Why? Why would I risk an unknown opportunity somewhere I'm not familiar with and not knowing anyone I'd be involved with, when, for 75 years, I've had everything I've ever wanted or needed in life right here in Boone, Iowa.?

    Certainly, through those years, there have been challenges, large and small here, but, as a community, we've always been able to "circle the wagons" and move forward. That's because this community has always boasted tremendous, positive citizens. Oh sure, there are always some troublemakers. In fact, I see a few in the audience here today (ha) but I won't mention names.

     Sure, there are, no doubt, a few Boone citizens who may have misgivings about whether this is their proper destination in life. 

     I'd like to issue this challenge. When you go home, get out a sheet of paper and pen or pencil and draw a circle of the immediate Boone area. Perhaps 10-12 miles each direction from its downtown Boone radius. Then, write down all the positive things you can think of that are available to us within that circle.

     I'll even start you off with some ideas........how about the Ericson Library, Don Williams lake and park, our wonderful hospital, Pufferbilly Days, the Boone and Scenic Valley, McHose and all the other "inside" parks, the Historical Society, Mamie, the Boone Speedway, the Ledges State Park, Ogden Fun Days, the Madrid Labor Day celebration and the community theatre?

     How about  DMACC, service clubs, Seven Oaks, three Casey's stores, the airport, the high bridge, golf courses, the schools and churches of various denominations, Dutch Oven Bakery, a variety of eating establishments, the two top grocery chains in Iowa and the brand new pickle ball courts?

     I can see some of you in the audience saying, of your favorites, "he's missing this and that one."

     Yes, the list is very long and I've just touched a few things that immediately come to memory. I'm sure your list will add many other positive community assets and are welcome additions.

     Heck, you can even get a tatoo in Boone.

     Just a few short miles away from our downtown, we can access some of the greatest artists in drama, music and sports at Stevens Auditorium, Hilton Coliseum and Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. The world's great orchestra's and choirs, popular plays and contemporary musicians are all available. The collegiate Big 12 athletic teams and players, some of the best in the country, are frequent visitors.

    And don't forget Reiman Gardens.

    My family came to this community in the late 1940's and I've been gone just two years of that time, due to military service. I'm so thankful, this was where I landed for good and again, "for 75 years its provided me with everything I've ever wanted or needed and various associations with some of the greatest people ever."

     I've been completely blessed and I wouldn't change a thing. This has been and is "My Kind of Town."

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....http://kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment