Tuesday, May 30, 2023

MORE FAMILIAR NAMES

     The list of names of former Boyd's Dairy employees never seems to end and Jim Seitz, BHS-73, is one of the latest contributors. He worked there in the early 70's.

     Jim wrote, "I got hired about the time of the retirement of Judy Peterson Collison. Steve Eckart and Rich Schueller were the "old guys" there at the time. Dale Points worked with Andy bottling the milk. Pearl Hamman, Denny's mom, worked in Ames and I worked with Gary Long, Gordon Hansen and Karen Russell. Nancy Taylor also worked at Boyd's for a short time before moving on to Eckstein's. Most of my time was spent working at the main southside location but I covered the West Boone store occasionally and that's where I got to serve Ev Hickman. I also helped our truck driver, Charlie Rentschler, with deliveries to Ames and Perry and to this day, I give credit to Charlie for teaching me how to use mirrors when backing the truck up at the northside store. Dick Farley made the famous ice cream there. It was all you could eat and ninety cents an hour to start, before moving to $1.10 per hour after a brief break-in period. Ice cream was selling for a nickel a dip and those wonderful thick malts were 40 cents. I didn't realize I was walking in the footsteps of Verne Schmickley at Boyd's. We moved to Southeast Linn in 1958 and I remember Verne being this nice guy who lived up  the alley on Prairie. We'll be coming back to Boone in late July for my BHS 50th class reunion. Keep up the good work Mo and continue to sing the praises for our very special community."

K-----K

     A few more names have trickled in. John Hinz worked at Boyd's, 1960-62, Orville Bice was mentioned and also Kevin Quarnstrom.

K-----K

     A reminder that the Boone Municipal Band will be starting a new season of concerts tommorrow (Wed,5/31) at the Herman Park Pavilion at 7 p.m.. 

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment