Saturday, December 22, 2018

HAVE THE MERRIEST EVER

     Continuing with Larry Lindmark's memories of "Christmas in Boone." "(1) I remember going to  Woolworth's, in the block with the Rialto and Princess theaters, Osco Drug and Bowman's shoe store. Woolworth's would have much of the smaller merchandise enclosed by glass dividers. That is where we could purchase ceramic pieces of the nativity scene. Mary and Joseph, along with camels and sheep, sold for 10 to 15 cents each. Those figures are still displayed in our home today. (2) I remember mom and I coming out of the back door of the old Augustana Lutheran church following the midnight Christmas Eve worship service. As we stepped outside, the snow began to fall. Since the church moved to its present Greene Street location in 1960, Stark Welin Funeral Home has occupied that same site for decades. (3) I remember the large, elongated gold star positioned above the altar at Augustana Lutheran. (4) I remember ice skating for hours at McHose Park, gliding along to the tunes of "Peggy Sue" and other 1950's and 60's hits. (5) I remember on January 1, 1963, Chet and  Gladys Lawson inviting many friends to their home so that we could watch their color TV featuring the Boone High School marching band in the Tournament of Roses parade."
K-----K
     Ogden High School grad, Sharil Morain, a former neighbor of ours, has responded to my laptop situation.
     Lots of good tips.....things to buy that might be helpful or various adjustments to current equipment that might help.
     Thanks Sharil.
K-----K
     Memories of that great "run" from Alaska to Florida by Boone's own Pete Kostelnick, BHS-2005.
     John Kueck, BHS-61, informs that there is a memory video available...…..http://youtu.be/Tekk3L XTLU
K-----K
     From our California correspondents, Max, BHS-46, and Larry Moore, BHS-52, "I understand your pic problems, with this high tech business, its frustrating. Not a day goes by that I need a nerd on my side. I just say, "Oh well, maybe it will fix itself." Lefty, the same way. I just coaxed him to get a cell phone. Land lines are becoming a thing of the past. I can remember my Boone number was 129J while sharing with three others. Mo, I admire you for keeping the Korner operating. I still look forward to Wednesday and Saturday. Roger Oxenford, BHS-45, moved to 15 miles from me in Tustin, CA, an assisted living place. My day is filled with sports. Cyclone football, I think, might beat the Hawks today with Purdy and Montgomery. Both schools seem good in basketball. Rah, rah  Toreadors. Thanks again for the connection I get from good old Boone,  I still love Boone. Larry wanted me to ask you.,.."When did basketball players file in a line to shake opponents hands?" I don't think  we did that in the 40's. But, my memory is going."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Kathleen Wheelock informs the Korner of the death of Phil Billings, BHS-52. Phil, 84, and his wife, Joan Hilts Billings, BHS-52, celebrated 60 years of marriage. Phil was a realtor and they owned  a Dairy Queen. The family spent most of their lives in  the St. Louis area. Wife, Joan, and two children, Dr. Michael Billings and Shelley Billings, survive...…….Gretchen Leininger, 91, Boone. BHS-44. She married Ken Leininger in 1948. Gretchen worked for Northwestern Bell Telephone  from 1944-62 and again from 1974 until retirement in 1990, a total of 35 years. Survivors include a daughter, her sister, Paula Haase, and nephew, Craig Pottratz, both of Boone and nephew Doug Haase, of Ogden...…….Howard Conard, 90. Military vet. Married Mary Ahrens in 1952. Wife Mary, two daughters and two sisters survive...…...Leo Dale Shirley, 71, Buffalo, MO...…...Diane Madden, 75, Boone. BHS-61. Worked for Dr. Charles Updegraff and in McCaskey's  restaurant in Boone and the Twin Anchors Café in Colo, both owned by her parents, Ray and Carolyn Burlingame. Later,  she worked at Ledges Manor, the Tip Top restaurant, Dairy Queen and then, as a caretaker. She married Larry Madden in 1965. Survivors include a daughter, Kim Ohge,  son, Jim Madden, and a brother in law, Leonard (Junior) Madden, all of Boone. Also surviving are another son and daughter, a brother and niece.........Judith Howard, 81, Knoxville. Married Ken Howard, BHS-56, in 1961. Ken, two sons and a daughter survive.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments...…
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment