Wednesday, August 29, 2018

WHAT? YOU DON'T LIKE THE DOG FOOD?

     The Kornerman is trying to be honest. I really don't know what to think about the "hit" numbers received by the Korner. I know, we've been all through this before. All I know is that for a two-day period, right after the last edition was released, there were at least 600 views. The total for the last month is 5,171, which would seem to indicate some 1,200 hits per week. Hey, maybe that is right......about 600 or so each edition.
      Anyway, my intention when I started this revealing info was to moan about the lack of response to the poem I had highlighted in the last edition. Some 6 or 700 viewers, at least, and no response at all......everyone sitting on their? hands?
      I thought the poem was hilarious and would be enjoyed by many BUT, to each his own I guess.
      Reminds me of that old story about the huge effort put forth displaying a new dog food. The latest and greatest technology and advertising tools ever were used in promoting the product etc. etc.. But, when asked why sales had not improved after such a barrage of positive info, it was disclosed that the dogs "simply don't like the dog food." O.K., maybe the poem wasn't that great.
      P.S. I thought the recent remembrance of Betty Mae Harris would draw some response too. Not!! Guess it shows what I know.......or don't.
 K-----K
      A followup on a recent note from John Hinz, BHS-64. He wrote, "you and I share similar career perspectives. I, too, feel blessed about my career. My father, (known as Doc Hinz), spent the last 16 years of his career in Boone as a financial advisor for Investors Diversified Services (IDS). As a 10-year old, I worked for him, doing his filing, answering his phone when he was at client meetings, and, occasionally, going with him to sit in on client meetings. Fast forward to high school and I already knew what I wanted to do for a career. After graduating from Drake University, I accepted a position  in Minneapolis working for IDS. Fast forward again,and I am 5 1/2 months away from reaching my 50th anniversary with the same company, renamed Ameriprise Financial Services. Like you, in my career, I have made many good friends, hired and trained a number of people who have gone on to great success and I've loved every minute of it. I'm starting to wind down now, but will continue to work seasonally on a part-time basis. Like you, why quit doing what you love to do? Just take it a little slower. Like you, I feel very warm and fuzzy about my life, and growing up in Boone is a very big part of that experience."
K-----K
     Another memory from classmate Roma Achenbach, BHS-53. At our recent class reunion, she showed me an old Boone News Republican clipping about a neighborhood play presentation and garden party.
     According to the clipping and this was a major, two column story (Editor's note - my how local news coverage has changed). The North Greene Neighborhood Children staged the play, "The Doll Shop" at 1127 Greene Street.
     In great detail, the BNR story detailed that the theatre was a garage in the rear of the Ertz-Pepper home. The garage was all appropriately decorated and a Miss Elizabeth Ertz was credited with doing most of the directing of the production.
    The program started with some dolls fast asleep in a doll shop. The sleeping beauties eventually turned into living creatures and "each doll, in turn, sang or danced with little Tommy Pepper, the unquestioned hit of the show." Tommy later wowed the audience with his vocal rendition of "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy." Students of Betty Mae Harris performed in the second half of the show either via dance or song or both.
     Later, the garden party was given for the hard-working cast and you may remember the names of some of that cast.......Betty Pepper, Shirley Heitkamp, Joan Mary Pepper, Marilyn Parisho, Nancy Rae Morris, Janice Parisho, Carol and Roma Achenbach, Tommy Pepper, Barbara Bennett, Mary Lee Shadle and Lois Shadle.
     Editor's note: I remember Shirley Heitkamp, in later years, as a terrific singer with top notch Iowa dance bands. Nancy Rae Morris is my, the Kornerman's, cousin. She was a terrific dancer I recall AND her mother, Pat Morris, along with Mrs. Liddell? were longtime pianists for Betty Mae Harris.
     Also, its important to note that, yes, there was a charge for the show. However, at least half of the money collected was invested in war stamps. Some youngsters out there in Kornerville are probably wondering, "war stamps? what's that all about?"
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Donald Anderson, 90, Dayton. Boxholm HS-46. Farmed with his wife, Jean Carol Hanson Anderson, near Boxholm. Two daughters and one son survive. Another survivor is a sister, Doris Berglund, of Boone..........Sharil Dunn, 78, Ogden. OHS-57. Worked at ISU until retirement. Two sons, including Matthew of Ogden, survive........Hazel Graham, 79, Ames. Was a member of the Kate Shelley Doll Club...........Bernard (Butch) Judge, 76, Boone. BSH-60 and attended Boone Junior College. Was a Boone policeman and Iowa National Guardsman for a time. Worked as a cowboy at a Wyoming ranch for 10 years. Then, became a directional driller for several oil drilling companies. Married Jackie Parrish but they were later divorced. Married Rhonda Tharp and when she passed away in 2012, Butch moved back to Boone. A son, Jon, and two daughters, Kim and Kelly, survive as well as two sisters including Karen Anderson of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment