Saturday, August 18, 2018

THOSE 53ers, WILD AND ROWDY

     Back at it this morn after an outing last evening with that "wild and crazy" BHS class of '53.
     We had the beginning of our 65th reunion at a very crowded Adobe Lounge where the pizza was delicious.
     So happens, in one room, there was a bigger number than ours helping Heidi Crouse Kokemiller, BHS-80, celebrate her retirement from being a glue that kept the Boone County Courthouse together for the last 33 years. Congratulations Heidi.
     In that same room, our class had a nice turnout of some 25 or so........some from a distance. Colorado, Washington D.C., Minnesota, Nevada and Connecticut were represented.
     The fun continues tonight (Saturday) at the Colorado Grill.
K-----K
     The Kornerman loves Boone AND loves anything good about Iowa.
     When it comes to sports, I like them all.......Hawkeyes, Cyclones, Bulldogs, Panthers, DMACC, Luther, Buena Vista.......all of them.
     One thing I don't like.....I mean I really don't like it when in-state schools face off against each other. Simple reason......I don't want either rivals to lose, whoever they are.
     At Hickory Park in Ames recently, I made a mistake I guess. I had a shirt on with a Hawkeye emblem showing. I noticed a gentleman nearby all decked out in Cyclone garb.
    Eventually, he came over to me and said, "don't you know that anyone who comes in here wearing Hawkeye apparel gets food that's three days old?" But then he added, "its still pretty good though."
    Its a good rivalry I guess and for sane folks, it develops a lot of good fun.
    But, I just don't like it and its just a few weeks away......again.
K-----K
    We posted some good memories from Mike Ahlstrom, BHS-61, last time. Here are some more.
     Mike wrote, "I remember when I was in high school, I worked at Fergies (Harold Ferguson's) neighborhood grocery for 35 cents an hour after school and weekends, whenever sports didn't interfere. Then a head hunter came along and hired me away from Fergie for 50 cents an hour. That was your dad, Clint. I loved working at your folk's store. I treasure memories of your parents who were wonderful people. Then, when I was at Boone Junior College, I came down to the Boone News Republican after the Friday night games. Coaches would call in details of their games and I'd write the stories about those games. I was so proud to be working for you. Lots of trail dust and adventures in the meantime, but being a small part of honoring you will be something I'll never forget."
K-----K
     John Hinz, BHS-64, wrote, "I really liked your recent trip through your long sports career. What a great way to make a living. I'm still feeling warm and fuzzy inside thinking about Mo Kelley Day. What a great celebration!"
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Joe Geyman, 74, Crossville, TN. Born in Boone. BHS-62. Navy vet. Worked a lifetime for Xerox in Michigan before retiring in Tennessee. His wife, daughter and her sons survive. Boone area survivor is a sister, Jane Elsberry, of Boone.......Erben Elsner, 79, Harrison Twp..Born in Boone. Marine vet. Was a truck driver, 27 years of it working for Fareway. He married Jan Easton in 1958. Boone area survivors include his wife, a son, Dave, two daughters, Renee Williams and Kristen Kokemiller, a sister, Anita, and three brothers, Albert, Robert and Raymond all of Boone. Also surviving are daughters, Laura Maach of Grand Junction, Robin Martin of Minnesota and Penny Davis of Ames.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment