Wednesday, August 15, 2018

FINALLY, SOME STORIES AND MEMORIES

     Mike Ahlstrom, BHS-61, responded to a "Thank Note" I had sent him for his participation in my day. Mike wrote, "I don't know how you find the time to do all the things you do, including the note you sent me. When I was 12, in 1955, I think that was the first year of Little League in Boone, playing down at McHose Park for the Elks Club Cardinals. To us kids, it was big league all the way. Here's a memory, something that struck me as extraordinary. Shortly before mom passed away, I was talking to her on the phone and suddenly, she said, "I wonder if that time you hit five doubles in one Little League game is a record?" We'd never talked about sports events of 50 years ago in, maybe, 49 years. I guess the people all over Boone still remember baseball in Boone that far back, kids and parents both. And, you were there all the way. Making memories for us that last forever."
     There's more from Mike that we'll save for the next edition.
     P.S. Here's a good time to say to all those who participated in my day, somehow or another,......in person, cards, emails, whatever......that I hope by now you have received my "thanks." I've attempted to send notes to all of you (hundreds) and it took some time and, in some cases, lots of stamps but that task  is now completed, unless I missed you. If so, I apologize. Please accept this belated "thank you."
K-----K
     Curtis Dale Cox, BHS-63, opened the Kornerman's eyes. Sure, everyone knows about Kate Shelley and her exploits but, I didn't know a song had been written about her.
     Curtis wrote, "there was a group from the Ames area called "Homespun Harmony" that played and sang that song. We were friends of that group and they gave the words to the song to my wife so she could play it when she was with the Old Timers band. It was written by a man from Minneapolis. My wife still gets her accordion out and plays it every so often. The Old Timer's band is history, but my wife plays at nursing homes when they call. Keep up the great reporting. I, like so many others, enjoy your stories about our great town."
     The Kornerman says, "Curtis sent a copy of the song lyrics which closely portray Kate's adventure. Very interesting.
K-----K
     Kelley, BHS-67, and Marci McMullan enjoyed my day. Kelley wrote, "we truly appreciated the celebration. It brought back many wonderful memories seeing my teammates and reminiscing our stories. Also, thank you for mentioning in a recent Korner about our Korean War Conference and our father's remains. It was an incredible experience for Dan and I and we are encouraged his remains will be returned home. It is an extensive process, which may take years, but we are grateful and hopeful."
K-----K
     The mighty Toreador class of 1953, the Kornerman's class, has a reunion scheduled for this coming weekend. It will start with a Friday night gabfest at the Adobe Lounge. Saturday evening the group will meet at Colorado Grill.
     That brings to mind......:Pufferbilly Days. They are scheduled for September 7-9 in case you were unaware.
K-----K
     This might be a little confusing. As long as I can remember, I, the Kornerman has listed the popular Jerry Manriquez web site as.......http://boonesacheart/manriquez. net......with no problems.
     However, I've been told, it should be........http://boonesacheart.manriquez.net. Note the difference......./ or .     between heart and manriquez.
     I did a test run and either one works for me.
     I don't know if there are certain areas where just one of those prevails.
     Anyway, as far as I know.......you should be able to obtain Jerry's website with one address or the other or both regardless of where you live.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Lois Ruth Schroeder Larsen, 93, Ames. Born in Boone. BHS-42. Also attended Boone Junior College. Worked in Florida and at Yellowstone National Park. Married Einar Larsen in 1950 and they moved to Newton where Einar worked at Maytag. In 1987, in retirement, the couple moved to Florida. They returned to Ames in 2006. Einar and four children survive.........Hazel Houge, 101, Ames. She married E.Jean Houge and they lived on a farm near Boone. Hazel was widowed at age 38 and when her husband died, the family moved to Ames. Hazel worked at ISU, retiring from the library catalog department. Five children survive.........Earl Herrick, 79, Boone. Survivors include his wife, Linda, three girls and one boy. Linda, son, Michael, and daughter, Amy, are Boone survivors........Esther Rossman,  92, Boone. Completed her education at Grand View, Drake and ISU. While she was a teacher, her husband,  Calvin, was a Lutheran pastor. They served several Iowa communities until retirement in Boone. Calvin passed away in 1998. Four children and a sister, Ellen Nielsen, of Boone survive........Kathryn Judy Conway, 80,  New York. Formerly of Boone. BSH-55. She graduated from Clarke College in  1959 and worked for a time as an artist for Hallmark in Kansas City. Joined the Peace Corps in 1961 stationed in the Philipines. In 1963, she moved back to the U.S. and worked in Milwaukee. Eventually, she worked in Ecuador,  Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Three sisters survive.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment