Saturday, April 12, 2014

More, more, more

     Mistake prone. Old age seems to be the only defense the Kornerman can muster. We try hard to stay free of goofs but they happen. Thanks to Ann Coe for pointing out that the Charley Moss barber shop was on the south side of the street, not the north. She also talked about some old theatres which we will feature next time.
     Back to those barbers for just a few more minutes. Why do I, the Kornerman, keep thinking of the name Fred Mushrush when considering barbers of the past? A fictitious name, I assume, but one often heard.
     Mark Tompkins wrote, "I'll stir the pot on barbers. Who was the barber that had a shop on the east side of the Mondt Hotel? I got my first flat-top there and I guess I was old enough to make the decision, but, at first, mom wasn't enthused about it."
     Bernie Lewiston said, "I haven't seen anyone mention Orville Bice, who operated a barber shop underneath the old Farm Bureau office for many years. He opened at 4:30 a.m. and never charged more than $1.00 for a cut."
     John Kueck wrote in reference to Clyde Anderson's shop. John could recollect the shop but not the occupants. He did recall there were usually a pair of barbers there. Dobie Anderson was one of Clyde's hands and, for a time, there was another fellow. I, the Kornerman, just remember his mustache.
     John also told about being a Quinn's employee and having one of the dirtiest jobs there, unloading a railroad car of coke. He said the coke dust permeated every exposed part of his body, including his hair. He wrote, "I was a blond but walked into the barber shop with a black face and black hair. I'm sure the barber looked at me reluctantly but he did cut my hair. He could hardly get the comb through my hair and I think I dulled his clippers and scissors. Once done, they asked me to take a bath before I came next time."
     John also recalled watching a tornado funnel while yes, sitting in the barber chair. He wrote, "We were warned to take cover but I believe it dissipated before taking that step."
     Just thought of another barber name.......Loren Upton.
K-----K
     Recent talk of those weekend nights propelled some memories from Larry Jackson. He wrote, "The Friday night shopping talk reminded me of the verbal battles that took place when it was decided to switch the main shopping night downtown from Saturday to Friday. I don't recall how the sides were divided but it seemed to be the merchants saying, "yes," to Friday and the farming community saying, "no," because it would make it difficult for farm families to get to town on Friday night after having been in the fields all day, especially in the warmer months, thus, making Saturday night a much better time. Obviously, the Friday night fans prevailed and once it happened, you never heard anymore about it. Not sure just when this took place but guess it was around 1950 or 1951."
K-----K
     Back to Mark Tompkins. Speaking of the Mondt Hotel, Mark wonders how many hotels and motels there were in Boone, "back in the day?" In addition to the Mondt, he recalls the Shangri La which was located on Story Street between Fourth (Mamie) and Fifth, east side..........close to where there is a Subway Shop now.
K-----K
     Rick Houser used the mail service for contact. What do you think of that? He actually did write a letter, of all things. He wrote, "It's been awhile, but I never miss your blog." He sent a copy of a story from a newspaper about the death of Iowan John Wayne. It was actually a review of a book, "John Wayne, the Life and Legend." Rick added, "He was someone we all grew up with. I can't believe it's been 35 years since he passed away. I also just heard of Mickey Rooney's death at 93. I guess you can say we were still kids when those two were most popular. I'm still here and reading Kelley's Korner faithfully."
K-----K
     John Kueck sent a card that fits in very well right about now, a time when we are daydreaming of times past. On the cover it shows a young lady singing, "The melody haunts my reverie." John writes, "Thanks for your blog. I think as I grow older, my attraction to my home town grows, even though I don't live there. Thanks to you, you keep me in the "Boone Space."
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Joshua Myers, 31, Boone. BHS-2001. Worked at several Fareway stores. Boone area survivors include his parents, Tim and Jamie Myers, his partner, Ryan Wiedner, his children Kristikn and David, his aunt Rosemary Stuckey and cousin Karen Rosengreen all of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment