Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Big Bucks Were Awarded

     Ann Coe wrote, "I've been thinking about the theatres in Boone and well remember the Rialto (the big one with some double seats in the balcony and usually with first run (best) films;) and the Princess that drew the kids Saturday afternoon crowd and almost every western ever put on film; plus the Boone Theatre that was closed as much as  it was open. I knew Mr. Fangman was a manager for a long time, but never knew who owned any of the threatres. Just curious! "Bank Night" was always a big deal and a ticket bought in the afternoon was just as good for the drawing as one bought that night. No, you didn't have to be present to win. Any information or memory will be appreciated. I truly do appreciate all your efforts. Thanks much and keep it up."
     The Kornerman is old enough to remember the trio and longtime Rialto manager Cy Fangman. Who remembers Ina Emerson? Well, I  know her Boone daughter does. I don't know if Ina was the only one but she was definitely a person I remember taking to the stage on "Bank Night" and guiding the drawing presentation. I have no idea what the money amount awarded was but this was the late 40's into the 50's and almost any amount that came on a bill was well received by the recipient.
K-----K
     Yes, there was a barber by the name of Fred Mushrush. Ann Onymous wrote that she thought he barbered in the basement of what is now the Doran Law Firm and Mike Goodwin agreed.
     Mike wrote, "My mother knew him and that's how I ended up going to him for haircuts. I had been going to Charlie Moss before that. Fred was in the basement of the old IHSAA building (now the Doran Law Firm building) and you had to go down some outside stairs on the west side of the building. I remember he charged 75-cents. Also, I remember there was a spittoon beside the chair that he would spit in. You didn't want to go there before lunch. The other barbers I remember were Louis Springer on the northeast corner basement of Eighth and Story and a guy with the last name of Fibiker (sp?) who was in the Boone National Building next to Dr. Collis dental office. I still keep up with the Korner and enjoy it. I look forward to your posts every week."
     Mike reported in from the Denver area and we were sorry to hear he's had some tough months, healthwise, due to receipt of the West Nile Virus from a mosquito which led to a case of Gillian Barre Syndrome. It pretty much paralyzed his legs and it took six months before he was able to get around via a cane. We're happy to hear that he's about 90-percent recovered by now.
     In other barber additions, Michael Sundall said that Daryl Anderson was one of those who worked with Clyde Anderson and Bill Kennedy from Barrington, IL said that the Kennedy clan's cousin, Walter Carpenter, was a barber in the Holst Hotel for many years. He wrote, "all the Kennedy boys from Moingona went to Walter for our haircuts many years ago. I admit, though, I had to call brother Jim Kennedy to help me remember that."
     The Kornerman made another mistake. I replied to Bill and mentioned the fact I remembered he was a good wrestler. Wrong again. Wrong Kennedy. Bill answered, "my nephews, Ray Kennedy's boys, were the wrestlers, not me. I only played American Legion baseball with Ray Morris as my coach. He was a great coach. I was just short of talent. Brother Jim did play lots of baseball and softball when the softball leagues were most popular in the 50's and 60's. Janaan and I enjoy the Korner. Keep up the good work."
     Hey, the Kornerman remembers that Jim Kennedy was a good ballplayer. He was several years before me but I was a bat boy in those days when he and others, including my uncles, played lots of ball.
K-----K
     It was wonderful hearing from my classmate, Carol Hopkins Pyeatt, from Springfield, MO. She wrote, "please know how much I appreciate all the time you give to the Korner. I love the technology we have today so we can view your blog. For many of us living away it's a chance to stay connected with our home town that brings back the wonderful and warm memories of our past. Stay well, Mo."
K-----K
     Former KWBG fellow inmate Larry Kelley sent some great memories of our days there which we will get to in a future edition.
     Right now, the Kornerman wants you to know that, as of yesterday, April 15, a famous vehicle is on sale. Larry wrote, "we are selling the "bus" as we affectionately call it. The one that was used for Jamie's shows from 1996 until last year. We just don't use it anymore and we are not campers. Its been pretty much strictly for shows including one trip to the Tupelo, Mississippi fair where Elvis first sang in a contest. Its also been to Memphis, Vegas and New Jersey for the Harrah's shows in 2005 and for the Vineland show in 2009. We will be removing the name off of the side of the bus. It has just crossed the 100k mark but runs great. I'm at 515-432-4332."
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Myron Kent, 87, Stratford. Farmed in the Lehigh/Stratford area...........Arvel Coats, 77, Kansas City. Area survivor is his father, Clark of Stratford.............Joseph Scott Dennis, 23, Boone. BHS-2012. He was a client of Iowa Home Cares. Boone area survivors include his parents, Robert and Amanda Dennis, brothers Brian and Sean, sisters Lyndsey Zahradnik and Jordan Sloan and granddaughter Loretta Bass all of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment