Saturday, April 19, 2014

Have a Great Easter Weekend

     According to the rumor mill, Caffrey Cigar Company, a Boone family business that has a very long history in the community will be closing in the fall.
     A For Sale sign has appeared in front of another longtime Boone business, Schroeder-Walter Funeral Home, located on the northwest corner of Fifth and Story.
     In school news, the story is that the Boone Community School Board has accepted a $75,000 offer for the Lowell School site. They had advertised it for $100,000.
     At Boone High School, it appears that about half of the materials that fell during the recent demolition of a portion of the "old" building has now been cleared.
K-----K
     K. Peterson has advised the Korner via email that, "posted barbers....I remember Arlow's. He was in the basement kitty corner of where Fareway was. He use to sit out on the railing. Jones brothers and the Sherbon brothers.....not sure on the spelling."
     That verifies some info the Kornerman had previously posted. Arlo is still available in the same spot, underneath Holly's at the northwest corner of Seventh and Story and he still sits on the railing on occasion. The Sherbon's were father and son, Merle and Phil.
K-----K
     Dorothy Clifton is a Korner fan. She wrote, "I enjoy your write-ups about the "Good Old Days". Fun to remember. You do such a nice job on the things people write about. Thanks for all you do."
K-----K
     Larry Kelley with some thoughts about when we, he and I, were distinguished? members of the KWBG staff "way back when."
     He wrote, "you had mentioned that Mark Campbell contacted you. Mark, as you remember, was quite a prankster, too! I remember him and this manikin that he found somewhere. I was doing sign-on at 6 a.m. so I would enter through the back door of the station when it was on Keeler Street. Well, Mark would take the manikin and place it's hand on the light switch just inside the door. When I reached in to turn on the light, I touched this "hand" and jumped twenty feet!! But that wasn't the end of the manikin stunts. Oh no, not for Markus. You may recall the tiny men's bathroom, just a sink and a toilet. It's an early morning and I'm rushing around trying to get the teletype news put together and sign on the transmitter, and just before 6 a.m., time to start on the air. I rushed to use the rest room at two minutes before air time. As soon as I turn on the light to this tiny room, there sits the manikin on the toilet!! It about knocked me out, I jumped back so far!! My heart was racing for ten minutes after that. I could tell you more of his stunts trying to break me up reading the news and his antics on the other side of the glass to studio two but you probably couldn't print them. I can only say I had all I could do to continue reading a serious newscast, all the while trying to shield my eyes from seeing what he was doing on the other side of the glass partition. I still laugh at a lot of those things today! We had some great times and how I loved the radio we had back then......very small townish but we had lots of listeners. People like my folks had their radios on all morning long."
     Larry concluded, "Several people I've talked to of late, mentioning Kelley's Korner, have all agreed that it is great reading. I thank you for your online column and all the super memories you bring back for us to relive. So. congratulations to you and it's nice to see you still have your wit."
K-----K
     The Kornerman loves these Lexophile's. When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate. A thief who stole a calendar got twelve months. The batteries were given out free of charge. A will is a dead giveaway. A boiled egg is hard to beat. Did you hear about the fellow whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now. The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine is now fully recovered.
K------K
     Boone Area deaths: Piggy McGinn, 65. Worked as an LPN and in a Hospice facility. Moved to Boone in 2005. Boone survivor is a daughter Pam Van Pelt.............Rev. Jerry Newland, 74, Boone. BHS-58. Also a Boone Junior College grad. Served in several Iowa communities. Retired and moved back to Boone in 2008. Boone survivors are sisters Joan Sigmund and Karen McCool.............Sandy Shadle, 62, Boone, Stratford grad. Was a CNA at Eastern Star and was a dietary aide from 1978-2013. Boone survivors include her mother-in-law Bernice Shadle, brothers-in-law Charlie and Hollis Shadle, sisters-in-law Karen Donovan and Sandra Wisecup and her aunt and uncle Lyle and Betty Richey of Stratford.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment