Wednesday, September 13, 2023

THREE NEWS ITEMS

     Well, time has passed since the last time I provided anything other then the latest central Iowa deaths in the Korner.

      Have a couple things to mention. The other day, I saw famous author, Boone's Phil Larson, BHS-61, coming up my driveway on his motorcycle. Yes, he was bringing me a signed copy of his wonderful first and new book, "A few memorable days."

      As the title indicates, the book recalls a few of his worldwide travels from 1969-2019. By the way, he has traveled more since then and, in fact, will join former resident Kriss Phillips and a third party on a trip to Albania in November. 

     The book is 212 pages, very readable and contains some interesting photos as well as his commentary on his travels.

     It is quickly becoming more and more available through the usual sources, Barnes and Noble, etc. and if you enjoy a first person account of worldwide trips, some of which become very precarious, you would find this very interesting reading.

K-----K

     The Kornerman has received an update on Pete Kostelnick's, BHS-2005, recovery from an almost fatal auto accident.

     Pete, of course, for several years, as been one of the world's most successful ultra marathon runners, including his capture of the record for a coast-to-coast jaunt from the West Coast to New York City a few years back.

     In Pete's own words, "made it to the three week mark since the crash and surgery. I saw the post surgery x-rays and can't believe all that is just hanging out in my body for the rest of my time here on earth. Its rough knowing that I have at least five weeks until I can stand or walk again. More than the healing time though, I'm anxious to see what running looks like when I am able to run again. There are so many races and "things" I still want to do. This weekend, I caught up with @runningwithcinder, text with Chuck, two of the four who joined me in 2016 across America. I'm also excited to follow @runjennyrunusa in her run across America. I'm 36 and on one hand, I've experienced and accomplished more that I would have ever dreamed of when I started. On the other hand, I've also let several years slip by, "figuring other things out." If my body lets me (big IF), the next 13 will be even better. Keeping my mind on the long term is all I can do right now."

     Editor's Note: Pete certainly earns an A+ for his determination.

K-----K 

     The latest news from the Boone County Historical Society reminds us that memberships end on December 31, 2023, and hopes are, that renewals will take place prior to that so records will stay up to date and it also makes managing the budget much easier. 

     Single membership is $25, family membership $40 and business membership $75 and donations are accepted all year long.

     Many improvements have been made and visitors are welcome to see them Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or by special appointment.

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices......kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment