Saturday, July 10, 2021

A MEMORY OR TWO

  A REMINDER.......BOONE MUNICIPAL BAND FESTIVAL IS TODAY.  

      Andy Anderson, BHS-62, wrote, "If I played  for the Washington Redskins, I'd now say, "I played for the Washington Football Team". Therefore, if I mention my alma mater, I'd say, "I graduated from UNI". One of the new names is reflective. The other is merely political posturing! Is this logical reasoning? Please keep this Korner going. Thanks for the Pufferbilly information. If one wants to see folks and reunion attendees, what a time to go!! BHS-62/UNI-67.

     John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "I was cooking hamburgers tonight, which brought back my teenage memory of the tiny hamburger cafe by the Fort Dodge railroad tracks. Perhaps you've written about it before. It seemed unique for its time. I used to stop there on Saturday when I went by on my paper route. I think burgers were 25 cents and maybe five for a dollar that I opted for on occasion. They were tiny burgers and smaller than today's sliders, but I loved them. As I recall, it was a tiny menu with, possibly, tenderloins too. You sat on the few stools overlooking the grill. It was fascinating in those days for me to be so close to the cooking. Do you remember the owner? When did it close? It has to be a memorable part of Boone....one of a kind." 
     The Kornerman says, "Oh yes, I've mentioned that cafe many times. Squrrel Moore, quite an athlete in his time.....in baseball and also a member of those hotshot state champion BHS basketball teams of the 1920's, was the operator of that restaurant. I think the burgers were a dime and yes, pretty thin."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Connie Johnson Sprecher, 75, Boone. Born in Boone. BHS-64. Married Richard Wullenwaber in 1964 and they divorced. Married Milton Sprecher in 1984. She worked at the Perry Schools, in dietary at Evangelical, Boone County Hospital, Eastern Star and at ISU and also worked until retirement at Walmart in Ames. Survivors include her husband, two daughters and two step-sons.........Ronald Smith, 64, Stratford. Born in Boone. Survivors include a sister and a brother, Dave Smith, of Boone........Cindy Sue Larson Adreon, 61, Ogden. BHS-78. Married Tim Adreon  in 1979. The couple lived in Rockwell City for 10 years before moving back to Ogden in 1993. Cindy worked at Archway, was a daycare provider and for 17 years, was a receptionist at Johnson and Sons in Ogden. Survivors include her husband, a daughter, Amanda Johnson of Ogden, a son, a sister, Marge Bollenbaugh, of Boone and a sister-in-law, Bev Adreon of Boxholm.............Douglas Pentico, 75, Boone. OHS-62. Worked at Fareway and then for over 33 years, for the railroad. Married Mary Mindeman in 1985. Survivors include his wife, a brother and three sons, including Josh Tracy of Boone..........Charles Ellis, 60, Nevada. An avid follower of the Boone Speedway, especially car number 43.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@ gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment