Wednesday, April 8, 2020

YES, PEOPLE are REALLY BORED

     OH MY!  That was a signature "call" delivered often by a nationally known sportscaster during his many television appearances. Was it Dick Enberg?
     Well, OH MY, what a Korner week we have had. I must say, this self-isolation must have something to do with the wide influx of material we've received from numerous Korner patrons. Nothing better to do huh? Its, by far, the most traffic to cross our desk in quite some time.
     It started with an offering by John, BHS-64, and Linda Swain Hinz, BHS-67, who simply sent a picture of the old bathing beach at similarly old Riverview Park in Des Moines. They added simply, "just kind of going stir-crazy."
     By the way, the following will all be from BHS-64'ers who answered the Hinz message.
     Marsha McCoy Wilson wrote, "I don't remember going there, but I loved going to amusement parks. We kids used to beg my dad to go to Riverview everytime our family visited our cousin in Des Moines." She then acknowledeged that  "yes", she and classmate Mike Loehrer had gone to Riverview but she couldn't remember the year.
     Loehrer wrote, "I loved Riverview. The last time I was there was the summer of 1964 or 65. Marsha McCoy Wilson and I went. There were around 20 people there and we pretty much had the park to ourselves."
     He added, "I remember Jeff and Jerry Johnson from Kalamazoo (Mich.?), and I went to Riverview every Wednesday, two penny day. All rides and games cost two cents. The Johnson's spent the summer in Boone with grandma Olson."
     Bob Olson wrote, "I remember Riverview. I lived in Polk City from age eight to 16, 1954-62. Polk City did not have a swimming pool so we would go to Highland Park, Camp Dodge or Big Creek to test the water."
K-----K
     Jim Seitz, BHS-73, wrote, "I enjoyed reading about the KWBG-WHO connections. I never knew. I roomed with Jeff Groves, BHS-73, during my freshman year at Iowa State. Jeff worked at KWBG when he was still in high school and I had occasions to visit him in the studio downtown and transmitter south of town. That was a treat for me and I thought it was pretty cool to be doing that kind of work as a teenager. I remember him mentioning working with Larry Kelley, Mike Pace and another guy who used an "on-air" name....any idea who that might have been? While in college, Jeff also worked at the student-run station, KPGY, "K-PIG" as it was known back in those days. I joined a fraternity the next year and my first roommate was Larry Wentz. Larry was from Blue Earth, MN and went to work at WHO after graduating. He's a local TV news anchor at Sioux City now. Small world!"
     The Kornerman says, "that was after my time at K-Dub. I do remember a few announcers who didn't use their real name.......Dennis Borwick was always D-Arthur Dennis and there was a Hal Mann and I know that wasn't his real name."
K-----K
     Sue Anderson Mersereau, BHS-67, wrote, "I'm trying to find out who would have the church records for the Mineral Ridge Baptist Church. My 3rd great grandfather, Matthias White, was a founding member. Last time I was there, a couple years ago, it didn't look like a church anymore. Most of my relatives are buried in Mineral Ridge cemetery, but Matthias left a circular 1/4 acre of land on his property as that cemetery. I have found it and the county is taking care of it now. Do you, or any of your readers know, what would have become of those church records or who purchased the church?"
     The Kornerman replies, "I, personally, have no clue but how about records at the Boone County Courthouse? or.......maybe good friend Larry Adams, BHS-65, would have an idea."
K-----K
     More questions. Bill Olson, BHS-62, wrote, "I would, occasionally, wash the under carriage of my '50 Buick at a place in Boone. I think it was in an alley. I had to pay up front before using the unit and was allowed somewhere around 10 or 15 minutes. The water was steaming hot. I remember using it a couple times. It was very cheap and, as a high school guy working a the local Lincoln Armory as a janitor, I could afford it once a year. Anybody out there remember the name of that business? I don't think it was where Cardinal Cleaners is."
     P.S. Bill is still interested in finding the location of former BHS math teacher Jim Sanders.
     The Kornerman replies, "wouldn't this have been BEFORE all the similar car washes we now have in Boone.......maybe the first one here?"
K-----K
     The Kornerman still has lots of material that I'm holding over for next time.
     Material from Ron Hopkins, BSH-59; Barry Wills, BHS-58, Loehrer, BHS-64, Tom Peterson, BHS-67, Jerry Manriquez, BHS-67, and some hilarious "isolation jokes" sent by Max Moore, BHS-46.
     The Kornerman can't wait.....gotta tell one of those jokes. "I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now, I turn it like I'm cracking a safe."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Joselyn Michael, 42, Boone (obituary not available)........Dan Hall, 68, Huxley, formerly of Boone. Born in Boone. BHS-70. Married Pamela Poehlein in 1974. Worked at John Deere for 30 years. Survivors include his wife, Pam, of Huxley, daughter, Nichole, of Slater, brother, Jim Hall and sister Nancy Baker, both of Boone and step-brother, Chris Henning of Ogden..........Richard Bratcher Jr., 65, Ames. Army vet. Earned an RN and worked at the Woodward Resource Center until retirement in 2015. Married Debra Horton in 1978 and she passed away in 2011. Married Kimberly Tesdahl at the Boone Salvation Army in 2012. He was a scout leader in Grand Junction for quite some time and was a member of the Boone Salvation Army. Survivors include his wife, Kim, of Ames, four sons, including Larry of Ames, three daughters, including Abbey Malone of Boone, a sister and a brother.........Julie Calkins, 70, Ames. Became a CNA and worked at the Woodward State Hospital and the VA Hospital in Knoxville for over 25 years.........Joyce Hiatt Eacret, 83, Waukee, formerly of Ames. Married Roger Hiatt and they had five children. Married Marion Eacret in 1973. Survivors include two girls and a boy, Mark Hiatt of Boone. A brother also survives........Deva Adams, 88, Boone (obituary not available).
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment