Wednesday, April 29, 2020

BOONE GOLF, WEST BOONE MEMORIES

     Doug Miller, BHS-71, wrote, "I really enjoyed your article about some history of Boone golf and the many great players and accomplishments of all the golfers who have lived in Boone over the years. Yes, I believe Boone has as good a reputation and history of good golfers as any town or city in the state of Iowa, especially considering the size of the city of Boone. Thanks for recognizing all the many outstanding golfers who have enjoyed calling Boone their home town. I do want to mention my father, Frank, BHS-33, who was a letterwinner in golf at the University of Iowa, played in many amateur tournaments over the years and got me started in the game."
     The Kornerman replies, "I'm sure there's a long list of more great local golfers that weren't mentioned in the article and your dad was one of them. Someone had told me once that Boone businessman Arlis Mathis had as much potential as anyone if he would have had more time to work on his game. Then too, I remember that "Red" Thompson was known as an extra long hitter. Oh boy, its fun to remember some of those things.......but, still, I know there were some extraordinary Boone golfers that I haven't recalled and I feel bad that I've missed some that should have been mentioned."
K-----K
     Back to some West Boone mentions.
     Vern Modeland, BHS-50, wrote, "my mom, Cecil Denning Modeland, recalled for me, vividly, every Halloween time, about her growing up as daughter of a custodian of the courthouse. I guess that would be my great grandfather, whom I never knew. Anyway, they lived on the top floor of the courthouse then and she'd recall for me details of how there was a tunnel that connected the courthouse and the then-county jail brick building. I do remember the jail building still there in my teen years. She said it was decorated for fun as a spooky place to walk for the holiday with fake cobwebs, ghosts etc. Anyone with more details? Circa the mid-1920's."
     John Kueck added, "my uncle lived in West Boone and was the building superintendent for the courthouse. I remember going there with him at night to check on the boiler and he'd take me to the jail via a tunnel. Most of the prisoners knew him and they were friendly to him and me. But, as a little kid, I was scared of them."
     The Kornerman says, "I believe the old jail was located across the street, west of the courthouse wasn't  it?"
K-----K
     Alright, it was Garland Hancock that was the Mayor of Boone (1954) at one time. He had the funeral home in West Boone. It was located on the northwest corner of Mamie Eisenhower and Fremont Street near the area where the Farley Tire shop is now located.
     The tourist court across from the Eastern Star home was owned by Tom Temple.
     Lamb's Furniture store was located on the southwest side of Mamie Eisenhower and Fremont near where the Iowa Department of Social Services have their offices these days.
K-----K
     If I, the Kornerman, provides some West Boone names, maybe some of you viewers can think of their businesses.
     How about Art Anderson, Nancy Nichol, Forest Thompson, Allie Kirkman and Vern Whitmer.
K-----K
     The Kornerman mentioned Dick Schultz in the recent golf material. His dad developed some soap-like materials in the basement of the building on the corner, just north of the current post office. If I remember right, the material was especially effective in the elimination of various inks and oils. He had quite a successful business that son Dick eventually took over. Both Dick and his dad are deceased.
     The news is that after a 10-year absence, Schultz Laboratories are "coming back home."
     In the R.L. Fisher Park area on the east edge of town, you locals may have noticed a new 13,000 square foot building just constructed. That's the new home of Schultz Laboratories.
     Kevin Wilson had purchased the business in the 1980's and moved it to Granger when more room was needed.
     The business, which now makes White Diamond auto detail products, continued to grow and Wilson began a search to bring it back to Boone.
     As of now, the companies greatest claim to fame is their metal polish. The facility will bottle nearly 300,000 units this year with some destined for Europe, Japan and Australian locations.
K-----K
     BREAKING NEWS: Boone High School football coach Thomas McGuire is resigning to make a move to Florida. His Toreador teams were 6-12 during his two-years as coach.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Ivan Flynn,71, Branson, MO. Formerly of Shenandoah and Boone.........Viola Anderson, 92, Story City. Formerly of Boxholm. Earned a teaching certificate from Iowa State Teachers College and taught first grade in Boxholm for two years. Married Gordon Anderson in 1949. After earning a degree from Drake University, she taught at Paton for 10 years and then Boxholm for 10 years prior to retirement. In 2014, she moved to Story City. Five sons survive.......Robert (Bob) Pate, 48, Boone. Grew up in Madrid. MHS-90. Married Rena Adamson in 1992. Survivors include his wife, his boys, Cody and Mitchell, his mother, Darlene Evenski, a brother, sister, his foster parents, Linda and Steve Santee of Madrid, and an aunt, Chris Pate of Madrid.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Take a message. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment