Saturday, April 4, 2020

RETURNING TO MY DICE GAME

     A time or two in this blog I've mentioned my very simple baseball dice game.
     When I was a teenager and spent lots of time alone (no TV, no I-Phone etc.) at home, I spent hours and hours playing this little game I invented using three dice........each number rolled signifying some type of "hit" or "out" and putting the result on a scoresheet. I played entire games and used fictious players, Ben Down, Stu Pover, Marty Gra etc., to fill out the lineups.
     Its rather ironic that I'm thinking of doing that same thing again, 70 years later, during this period of isolation.
K-----K
     Its probably just me, but on my travels through You Tube this week produced a couple of great pieces of music that I really enjoyed. It seemed rather appropriate considering this "thing" our country is going through right now.
     One was, perhaps, the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner ever......the one offered by Whitney Houston at the 1991 Super Bowl game in Tampa, Florida. It was just after that Persian Gulf incident. The other was Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful and it was sung at a World Series game shortly after 9/11.
     Wow! They made me stand up straight and even tear up a bit.
K-----K
      Let's get back to "regular" business.
     John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "your reflections on the old KWBG radio time triggered my memory of the early TV days - circa 1950. My next-door neighbor was the owner of what I recall was Erickson's Electric. In any case, I believe they were the first, or one of the first, retailers of TV's in Boone. They had a TV in their home. Boone residents were lucky to be so close to WOI-TV in Ames - the first Central Iowa TV station. In those early days of TV,  all transmission over the airways required antennas and close proximity to the broadcasting station. The number of TV shows was very limited to just a few hours each day. Captain Video played each weeknight at about 6 p.m..I was lucky, since my neighbor invited me over to watch the show. Captain Video ran many promotions with food companies. If you sent in their box tops and a quarter you were sent things like a space ring. I went for most of their promotions. Within a couple years, my parents bought a 13-inch Admiral TV. It was one of the few in the neighborhood and maybe the only one. Neighbors were invited over to watch TV, especially on Saturday night wrestling, which I loved because I got to stay up past my bedtime. During one school year, my Lowell classroom visited my home several days to watch an educational program on the history of Iowa. Nowadays everyone has a TV and likely, several."
     The Kornerman says, "my first experience with TV was watching it downtown in the window of Reedholm's Hardware. What first TV experience have any of you viewers had?"
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Jill Siders, 60, Boone. BHS-78. Worked as a CNA at the Eastern Star Home for over 20 years. Survivors include two brothers, including Dan Siders of Boone and two sisters, including Shellie Siders of Boone........Carla Hardesty, 79, Boone. BHS-58. Completed nurses training at Broadlawns Hospital in Des Moines. Was a CNA and Medication Aide at Ledges Manor. Married Mick Hardesty in 1966. Survivors include sisters-in-law Gloria Capps of Pilot Mound and Connie Capps of Ames. Nieces and nephews Coke Smith of Boone, Patty Burkheimer of Ames and Rick Robertson of Des Moines also survive........Richard (Mac) McDowell, 72, Boone. Army vet. Bought a car dealership in Webster City in 1975. Lived in Boone until 1988 when he moved to California. Came back to Boone in 2010. Worked as an accountant for Intensity, Cutting Edge and Dreamscape Home Builders. Also worked with his son at Pat Clemons Motors. Two sons survive, including Chad McDowell of Boone. A brother and sister also survive........Harold (Buck) Huffman, 87, Boone. Born in Boone. BHS-51. U.S. Navy vet. From 1955-1997 he worked as a printer for the Boone News Republican, Des Moines Register and Sunstrom-Miller press. He retired in 1997. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy, a daughter, Meliea, and a sister-in-law Catherine Huffman all of Boone. A sister, Joanne Townsend of Ogden also survives..........Deva Adams, 88, Boone. Obituary is still not available.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment