Wednesday, February 5, 2020

SEVERAL VIEWERS RESPOND

     The Kornerman's diatribe in the last edition has elicited some responses.
     (1) Bill Kennedy, BHS-55, and Janaan Munson Kennedy, BHS-54, wrote from Illinois: We relate to your thoughts and concerns. We have lived in Chicago for over 40 years, and when growing up in Moingona, I was a Cubs fan. Janaan and I have enjoyed watching the Cubs over those years. The Cubs new Marquis network, when launched thru Comcast, will only reach 50% of the Chicagoland population. We are subscribers to AT&T Uverse. Not being a subscriber to Comcast, we will not get the new network. We will be exploring the use of Roku or Amazon Fire as alternatives to get the Cubs broadcasts. Don't know if those will work but we will give that approach a try. If those and other alternatives don't work, we will enjoy watching the Chicago White Sox as they have made great strides in rebuilding their team. As you probably know, Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of the White Sox, owns 50% of the NBC Chicago network that broadcasts most of the Chicago White Sox games. We enjoy reading the Korner. We appreciate your fine efforts in continuing to provide your column to those of us that are still interested in what happens in and around Boone.
     (2) Gary Knox, UnitedC-58 wrote: I graduated from ISU in 1962. I attended some football and basketball games over the years. I am unable to do that anymore due to health and distance. Luckily, the independent living facility, where I live in Iowa Falls, provides cable TV as an amenity which includes Cyclone TV. I am also a St. Louis Cardinal fan since childhood but their games aren't covered on our cable. I have gone to a few Cardinal games and the 2004 World Series with Boston. The Cubs are carried here. So, the only time I get to see St. Louis play now is when they play the Cubs or when ESPN or Fox carries them. So, I listen to the Cyclones on the radio and for a small fee, listen to the Cardinals on my ipad.
     (3) Tom Peterson, BHS-67, wrote: Learfield Panthers et al has really ruined sports following for me too. Money, money, money....isn't it the way the world goes around? When I came to UNI, I got a nice employee discount on UNI sports tickets and many sports were free. I had four football tickets and four basketball tickets, plus I gave to the scholarship fund. Then, they took away the discounts, added many poor games to the basketball schedule plus raised pricing so I dropped the basketball tickets totally and decided to only buy those games I wanted to see, But soon, that dwindled to just a few and I lost interest in basketball. A couple years they were very successful and fans still turned out. But then, they had some down years and the stands were not full except for "big" games. Watching games across the nation, I see lots of empty seats except for the elite programs. Same thing goes for empty stadiums of pro sports like baseball, assuming corporations own the seats. You don't see kids out at the ballpark that much anymore and that is sad. I have to tell you about the history of the "UNI Student All Sports Pass" and how we've gone to women's basketball and volleyball games where less than 10 students attended. Yet, all UNI students can attend for free. Even football can't generate student excitement. No pep rallies, except for maybe homecoming, no interaction from the athletic department to build excitement and fan loyalty with students, a pep band that members are paid to come or have it as a grade requirement. I still get four football tickets and contribute to the Athletic Club just to get parking. We don't hardly tailgate anymore and think about watching on TV instead of attending when I have a TV chance.
     (4) Michael Loehrer, BHS-64, wrote: Of course I heartily agree. There is too much money in the country. People are willing to fork over big cash to watch and travel to see their teams. I'm  sure you've heard the cheapest ticket for the Super Bowl was $5,485. The average is $8,000 and change. The most expensive is $47,000. Yikes!
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Beverly Van Fossen, 87, Ames. Born in Boone. Adel HS-51. Married Larry Van Fossen of Adel and the couple moved to Ames. Larry earned a degree as a Agricultural Engineer from ISU and Beverly earned a nursing degree from DMACC. She worked for years at McFarland Clinic prior to retirement. For Larry's work, the couple lived in Guatemala for one year and Kenya for two years. Survivors include a son, a daughter, Belinda Smith, of Ames and a daughter-in-law..........Milo Latta Jr., 85, Madrid..........Henry Kenoyer, 82, Madrid.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment