Wednesday, February 19, 2020

HICKMAN MEMORIES

     The Kornerman heard from an old neighbor this week. Way back, Ray Seitz and his family lived across the street. If I remember right, Ray operated the Sears store in Boone. Anyway, Ray's son, Jim Seitz, BHS-73, weighed in on the mentions we've made recently about the death of Ev Hickman, BHS-54.
     A resident of Dubuque, Jim wrote, "just wanted to share another Ev Hickman story with you. My folks listened to WHO radio and television when we lived in Boone so I did too! (In fact, I still do on occasion.) Ev Hickman had one of those great voices that could easily be recognized and must have made an impression on me, even as a teen. Back in the early 70's, I had the good luck to receive my first hourly job at Boyd's Dairy. While most of my time was spent working at the Story Street location, I happened to pull a shift at the West Boone store for Margaret Frazier one weekend. It was late Sunday afternoon or early evening and a guy comes in and orders an ice cream cone. As soon as I heard his voice, I was pretty sure who it had to be. So, I asked, "are you" but before I could finish by saying his name, he cut me off and said, "yeah, I'm Ev Hickman," in that deep bass voice. I must have been 16 or 17 years old at the time and that's just one of many good memories I've kept from working at Boyd's. I always wondered how a 35 or 36 year old Ev, at that time, must have felt to have some teenage kid recognize him.I hope it made him feel good, if not maybe a little amused. That's when I was surprised to learn of his ties to Boone. Mo, heartfelt thanks for your blog."
K-----K
     The Kornerman hadn't heard from Vern Modeland, BHS-50, lately and has been "wondering."
     Well, he's been in the process of moving but let him tell you about his old WHO sidekick and his move.
     Vern wrote, "sorry to learn of Ev's death. I was already in the WHO news department before Ev arrived there. Ev was night shift when I was the early morning news gatherer, reader and photographer back in those days when news was a career, not show business. Attended his wedding too. He and his wife visited with Beverly and I several times. I recall his leaving his overcoat behind one winter night. Ah, Iowa winters, one didn't even miss your overcoat? I've been out of touch due to selling my lovely and beloved 10 acres of deep woods in the Ozarks near Flippin and being relocated, almost forcibly, to across the White River to Mountain Home, closer to the hospital and its too many services I now seem to require. You know you're too close when the ER doctors remember your name. Actually, not the ER docs, but a head nurse who was my next door lifesaver for about 20 years. I'm still getting used to this thing called, "Assisted Living," but it is owned by a couple from southeast Iowa who are becoming good friends for a lonely old man and his dog. Dog? Yep. She's listed as a "Comfort Dog" on my health forms and her prescription from my old doctor friend who saw her and predecessors coming into my life. She's an English Cocker Spaniel who keeps me walking her regularly and feeding her on demand. The rest of the Assisted's pet and love her being here too. Keep up the news, good and bad, and remind those later-readers some of us old folks enjoy reading you regularly too.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: The 56 year old son of Willie, BHS-53, and Barbara Rogers  Mondt, passed away in Bradbury, CA recently............Devin Wright, 57, Madrid. Born in Boone, the son of Donald and Bonnie Jean Wilson Wright. Grew up in the Ogden area. Stuart-Menlo HS. Survivors include his wife, Darcy Cosens Wright, and six children, including Chad Cosens of Madrid.........Connie McCoy Lacey, 81, Owensboro, KY. Formerly of Boone...........Maurice Reimers, 84, Ames..........Ralph Kalsem, 86, Ames. Survivors include a sister-in-law, Bev Kalsem, of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment