Saturday, February 1, 2020

OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW

     Wife Jo, in recent years, has heard the Kornerman say this a hundred times, at least.
     "We, sports fans, have been badly spoiled. With salaries of professional athletes, coaches etc. continuing to spiral, there's no way we can keep sitting in our living room, half-dressed, with drink in hand, watching our favorite teams play their games on huge television sets without cost, except cable charges. There has to be a limit to the cost of on-site game tickets and concession items so some "other way" has to be conceived by these businesses, to cover those excessive costs. Its pure business 101."
     Well folks, that "other way" is pay-TV, over and above your cable cost, and/or cost membership in new offerings such as Cyclone TV, Longhorn TV etc. which can successfully block games that used to be available free from your home set via cable. I'm fearful my Chicago Cubs will soon be emulating this "other way." They announced, some time ago, a new Marquis Network for airing of Cub games will be launched in the near future......probably for the upcoming season. I'm used to having an opportunity to watch all 162 games via regular cable or regular network options. NO MORE.
     Look, I know this is peanuts compared to daily life-altering events. HOWEVER, it does effect, at least a small portion. of each individual's lifestyle.
     The Kornerman has been an Iowa sports fan my entire life and I'm not limiting that dedication to the University of Iowa Hawkeyes ALONE. I'm talking about anything Iowa.....Gilbert High School, DMACC, Wartburg, Graceland junior varsity...... whatever......any success by any Iowa team brings joy to this old heart.
     I've been an Iowa State Cyclone lover from the time teenage friends and I would hitchhike from Boone to Ames to sit in the south end zone of old Clyde Williams Field. In those days, I watched hometown hero Jim Doran catch passes from quarterback Bill Weeks. Later, came the days of Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce and Johnny Orr and more recently, the work of Fred Hoiberg, Steve Prohm and Matt Campbell. At one time, we were season ticket holders.
     I'm sad. Due to these latest developments, it looks like the end of Mo Kelley's Cyclone lovefest is looming.
     Knowing it would have no bearing, whatsoever, on the final outcome I, nevertheless, wrote of my concerns to ISU Athletic Director Jamie Pollard. Here are some excerpts of the letter:
     "You've done a beautiful job for ISU....hiring the right coaches and upgrading facilities. I respect that immensely.
     Its a beautiful Sunday morning and both Cyclone basketball teams have a busy day, with one game after another. Unfortunately, I, and many other Cyclone fans, will "miss out."
     When I first heard of Cyclone TV, my initial thought was........"again, I assume, potential income has won a victory over any loyalty." Yes, I'm a Dish network subscriber and hardly ever see any ISU games "in person" anymore.......and it hurts.
     We used to catch ALL ISU sports activities on television, "somewhere." Not anymore. Am I the only Cyclone fan in this predicament? There have to be many more......hundred's? thousand's? that are disappointed.
     So, sadly, AGAIN, no Cyclone games......the Hallmark channel, property brothers or ?? will have to "fill in."
     From a longer and quieter distance than I desire.......GO CYCLONES."
     I mailed that letter to Mr. Pollard about the time of the ISU football bowl game in late December. No reply has been received.
     So, I, and others have this conundrum and with, what appears to be, no positive future.
     I'm sad........yes, I'll still listen for Cyclone scores and read what I can about them in the newspapers (as long as newspapers are available) BUT that closeness I used to feel for the program appears to be gone, after 70 wonderful years.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Dr. Jack Anderson, 84, Boone. Wartburg college. The University of Iowa College of Medicine. Flight Surgeon, U.S. Navy. Married Elaine Rouse in 1960. After service, the couple moved to Boone where Dr. Anderson spent the remainder of his lifetime serving this communities medical needs. Survivors include two sons, a cousin and brother-in-law. Boone survivor is his sister-in-law, Joyce Rouse.........Thelma Marturello, 91, Johnston. Born in Madrid. MHS. Married Joe Marturello in 1948. Survivors include three children. Boone survivor is a sister, Bonnie Williams.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com
     
     
     
      

     

    
       
     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment