Wednesday, May 8, 2019

WHAT A RESOURCE

     Recently, a young lady approached me with, "I understand you might be able to provide some information for me."
     She was seeking some history of the old Boone Hotel Holst.
     She caught me off guard but knowing that I have shelved a few such historical items regarding my hometown, I thought I could probably help her.
     She provided her name, phone number, address and I emphasized I didn't know how long such an investigation would take. She didn't seem to have any particular deadline.
     As I analyzed the situation, I determined that I would take the easy way out. I was sure, whatever info I might have, it would be overwhelmed by what the long historical fingers of Larry Adams, BHS-65, could provide.
     I contacted Larry, we met at the library and he pulled out an inch thick file of information on the Hotel Holst.....its history and all.
     It was way too much to make copies of etc. etc. so to make a long story shorter, I got Larry and the lady to exchange numbers and addresses and I'm sure they will be setting up a meeting very shortly. Shortly because Larry indicated he would just be in Boone for one more week before his annual trek north to return as Curator of the William R. Higgins Jr. Foundation, Inc. of the National Bank Note Museum and Library, a position he's held for several years each summer in Okoboji.
     But, there's even more to this story.
     While Larry and I were meeting, and the fact he was aware that Larry Kelley and I have been attempting to "track down" all the former KWBG employees we could think of, he pulled out no fewer that six full pages of names of former K-Dub employees.......some with their date of death and/or where some are located now. Wow!!
     Aren't we so lucky in Boone, Iowa to have such a resource? There are others......I think of Gretchen Otis and Ed Mondt...... but Larry, in particular, stands out. He is a real treasure trove of Boone historical information. Probably most communities have such an individual but Larry's the best and I'm thankful we, in Boone, have him.
K-----K
     Speaking of "bringing folks together," you may remember that in a recent edition we mentioned hearing from Bob Atherton, BHS-65, from Denver seeking contact information on Tim Croxen, BHS-59.
     We had mentioned Tim in a previous Korner, Bob saw that and was interested in making a connection. The two are related but had not been in contact for some time and Bob's mother, Betty, 98 years of age, was very much interested in making contact with Tim.
     Tim's phone number that I provided must have been an old one but I was able to provide Tim's address so I still hope a connection can be made.
     Bob wrote, "When I called my mom, she had a surprise when Roger Dutton, BHS-63, called her from Illinois. I think she said either he had read the info in the Korner or Tom Peterson, BHS-67, had contacted him. Ruth and George Dutton (Roger's parents) and my mom are related on her side. I hadn't talked to him in a long time either. Sounded like he was doing pretty well. It gave me a chance to tell my wife, Bonnie, about all of his (Roger's) athletic accomplishments, as she has never met him. Small world!!"
     The Kornerman says, "boy, a grand slam......Bob, Betty and Bonnie Atherton, Tim Croxen, Roger Dutton and Tom Peterson......all related but, in some cases, not in recent contact. Hopefully, they now will be."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Ted Condon, 90, Arizona. BHS-47. His brother, Vern Condon, 88, BHS-49, and Vern's adult children are Boone survivors.......Duane Godfrey, 81, Boone. BHS-56. Wife, Marsha, and adult  children are among Boone survivors........Merlin "Mert" Peterson, 63, Des Moines. Born in Des Moines in 1956. His parents were Robert "Bob" Mondt and Shirley Richmond, BHS-55, Peterson. Army vet. He married Diana Graham and then Michelle Tinlin. Worked as a dispatcher and heavy machine operator for M. Peterson Construction until 1994. Survivors include his dad, Merlin "Pete" Peterson, four kids, a step-son and three sisters........Bill Bogue, 72, Ogden. Grew up in South Dakota. Lost a 12-year battle with leukemia. He married Sue Carroll in 1970. An ISU grad, he worked for ISU extension for 29 years prior to retirement in 2004. Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Ogden, two adult children, two brothers and a brother-in-law.........Marco Antonio Pineda Encalada, 58, Ames. Boone area survivor is a son, Marc, of Boone.........Raymond Henriksen, 97, Ogden. Grew up in Nebraska. Married Mildred Everson in 1948. Started work that year as a welder for Northern Natural Gas outside Ogden. In 1984, became Ogden District Manager until 1998. Even after retirement he worked as a pipeline inspector and welding instructor. All told, 36 years of service. Survivors include his wife, Mildred, and daughter, Sally Good, both of Ogden. Four sons, a brother and two sisters also survive..........Mary Margaret Walker Dutton, 91, Des Moines. Born in Boone in 1928. Her parents were Charles Edward and Mary Catherine (Sullivan) Walker. She married Dean Dutton in 1951.........Jimmie Dean Schuessler, 83, Alleman. He and his wife, Janet, who survives, were well known to Boone area folks as owner-operators of that restaurant west of Ames on old Highway 30 called, at various times, the Chef's Inn, Brown Bottle, Elwell's. They also had a restaurant in Ankeny.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment