Wednesday, March 13, 2019

WE'RE LOYAL TO YOU BHS

     Max Moore, BHS-46, wrote from a chilly California, "sure enjoyed the article on Bucky and Pinky. Bucky is a legend. Thanks for your reporting. I look forward to Wednesday's and Saturday's. Will the BNR ever come back? Did anyone take over Mrs. Fox popcorn stand? I miss things like that. I understand Boone is moving south. That's the trend it seems. We've had our coldest winter in 50 years. I freeze if it gets below 65. Keep reporting Mo and good health."
     Max also sent a copy of the old BHS fight song. Remember? "We're loyal to you BHS. To you we'll be true, BHS. We'll back you to stand 'gainest the best in the land, for we know you will stand, BHS."
     These days....well, for quite a few years now, there's been a different fight song. The newer one, if I recall, was written by a Boone optometrist. Wasn't he a Doctor Johnson? His rendition is still being used today as far as I know. Then, of course, there's this "modern" Dors business which most of us older grads don't like. Times and ideas do change.
K-----K
     Referring to our recent memories of Dr. Longworth, Gary Knox wrote, "I remember him well. He patched up this farm kid multiple times. Ripped two fingers in the well pump v-belt, ran a knife into my hand whittling, a nail puncture in my scalp from a board, measles, mumps, chicken pox, appendictis, bronchitis to name a few. Our house was quarantined when my sister got scarlet fever. Dr. Longworth came to the house to treat her. And guess who handled the initial stages of my wife's pregnancy my senior year at Iowa State? The doctor who delivered me. We drove from Ames to Boone for the best....Dr. Longworth."
K-----K
     Dr's son, Richard, wrote, "thanks so much for the kind memories of my father. He loved medicine, mostly because of stories like yours, in which he gave a young man a shot at a long and full life."
     "I wish I knew if there were more copies of the history of Boone County medicine that John Kueck mentioned. I know I gave the Historical Society copies of that book and of the update that Dr. Greco wrote and I hope they survived the recent turmoil there. I know that copies were also donated to the Boone County Hospital. I'd bet that other doctors, of that time, also had copies and they or their descendants may have copies. I've got a copy, of course, but its a family heirloom now and I'm not parting with it."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Robert "Bob" Peterson, 65, Columbia, MO, formerly of Boone. BHS-72. Son of Rollie and Hilda Peterson. Family members surviving include a sister, Sue Habrich, of Boone and brother, Jim.........Evelyn Wendt Anderson, 92, Boone. Formerly of Omaha. Moved to Boone in the late 1960's. Was a homemaker and worked in soybean fields for area farmers prior to retirement. Married Elmer Anderson in 1961. Two sons, including Randy Kurtz of Boone, survive. A daughter, two siblings and a daughter-in-law are other survivors..........Grace Coghlan, 94, Madrid/Woodward area.........Burdell Martin, 81, Boone. Navy vet. In 1993, married Kathy Bennett. Worked for Fareway for 43 years. Was a district store supervisor when he retired. Did some work at Hill Top Greenhouses after retirement and also operated the Hacienda for six years in Laurie, MO. Wife Kathy, two sons, including Bruce Martin of Boone, one daughter, Shelly Lindahl of Boone and two sisters survive........Terry Larson, 73, Boone. Ballard HS. Married Holly McCoy in 1966 and was a graduate of ISU in 1971. Worked at Bourns, was sales manager at Eco Lab and a lifetime Cyclone fan. Wife Holly and a son, Jeremy Larson, both of Boone survive, as do three siblings, two sisters-in-law and a brother-in-law.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment