Saturday, February 3, 2018

No Help so....Let's Face the Music

    BUSINESS NEWS: People's Clothing Store, a Boone staple for 95 years, has announced closing of the store, effective March  31.
     Across the street from People's, on Eighth Street, it appears a new restaurant, "Pancho Villa's Mexican Resturant," is about to open.
K-----K
     The Korner is stone cold. Isn't there or wasn't there a wrestler, Stone Cold something? Anyway, our Korner desk and computer are cleared. Normally, in this "dead" time, we would simply have our usual Boone Connected Deaths and take a break. This time, instead, I thought I'd bore you with some personal observations on music, one of the Kornerman's favorite subjects. Often, when I have a dead time, I go to YouTube on the computer and pull up any song, any artist I desire to hear from and, of course, project it full screen/full audio. It makes it seem like I'm in the audience, front row, center.
     The Kornerman loves almost all kinds of music........well, not hard rock or rap etc. etc. But I can enjoy Merle Haggard's "Workin' Man Blues" one minute, big bands from the 40's and 50's the next, then current pop stars, gospel and even some classics like "Rhapsody in Blue" or "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue." Hey, I'm even a big fan of the Iowa Hawkeye Marching Band's version of the Beatle's, "Hey Jude." Lots of percussion.
     There are many great singing artists these days but gospel's David Phelps and Kim Hopper of the Gaither group have to rate with the very best. Terrific voices.
     I've very intrigued by great song lyrics and I find that, so often, they are so simple.......not complicated, just a great story put to music.
     A couple of songs/lyrics of illustration. Back in 1927, the original,"Jazz Singer" movie, starring Al Jolson, was credited with being the first movie to usher in the "talkies." A newer version of that movie, a remake in 1980, featured Neil Diamond and some songs written by Diamond and Alan Lindgren. One of the songs was,"Hello." Jennifer Nettles sang a terrific version of that song when the Lincoln Center honored Diamond in 2011. The Kornerman might even like it better than the way Neil sings it.
     Hello again, hello
     Just called to say hello
     I couldn't sleep at all tonight
     and I know its late but I couldn't wait
     Hello, my friend hello
     Just called to let you know
     I think about you every night
     When I'm here alone
     and you're there at home
     Hello
     Maybe its been crazy
     and maybe I'm to blame
     but I put my heart above my head
     We've been through it all but
     you love me just the same
     and when you're not there, I
     just need to hear,
     Hello
--------
    So simple, not complicated but powerful, especially that great line, "we've been through it all but you love me just the same."
--------   
    Part of the Broadway production of, "On a Clear Day," is "What Did I Have, I Don't Have Now" by Alan Jay Lerner. The late Eydie Gorme, aka Edith Gormezano, circa 1966, has what I think is the best rendition.
    What did I have I don't have now?
    What did he like, that I lost track of?
    What did I do that I don't do the way I did before?
    What isn't there, that once was there?
    What do I have a great big lack of?
     Something in me that he could see
     That beckons to him no more
     Oh, I'm just a victim of time
     Obsolete in my prime
     Out of date and outclassed, by my past
     What did he love that there's none of?
     What did I lose the sweet, warm knack of?
     Wouldn't I be the late great me if I knew how?
     What did I have I don't have now?
     What did he like that I am not like?
     What was the charm that I've run dry of?
     What would I give if my old know how
      still knew how
      What did I have I don't have now?
      What did he love that there's none of?
      What did I have I don't have now?
-------
      The Kornerman says, "pull those songs up and take a listen. Songwriting! Can be simple. Not complicated. Maybe you should give it a try!
 K-----K
      Now, see what happens when you viewers don't provide material to the Korner? A much too big dose of the Kornerman's interests prevail. Hopefully, we'll be back to "normal" by Wednesday with stories/memories/material that YOU, and YOU and YOU favor.
K-----K
     Just 10 days left.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Gerald (Jerry) Rasmussen, 91, Port Clinton, OH. Former Boone resident. Lived in Iowa until 1969. District Supervisor for Imperial Oil and also did some work for the Sandusky, OH schools until retirement. Among the survivors is his wife, Darline Cotton Rasmussen, Port Clinton. No Boone area survivors........Marta Phipps, 57, Boone. Her parents were Les and Sandra Phipps. BHS-78. Earned an RN in nursing from DMACC. Worked in Boone, Des Moines and Marshalltown hospitals. Boone area survivors include her husband, Dale Howe, of Boone and son, Noah Udelhoven, of Madrid..........Rev. Dr. Arnold Thoren, 87, Rock Island, IL. Formerly of Boone. Ordained in 1956 and served Boone's Augustana Lutheran Church from 1969-85. His wife, Barbara, survives. Boone area survivors include son, David, and David's wife, Janet, and their family members. Three daughters also survive........Harold Hagge, 89, Urbandale. Born in Ogden and a former Boone resident. Married Norma Trulin, BHS-51, in 1961 in Boone. Moved to Urbandale in 1968. Was an employee of the Iowa Army National Guard for 40 years, retiring in 1988 as a CW4. His wife, Norma, survives.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     
 

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment