Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Memories of Peoples Clothing

     The announcement of the closing of Peoples Clothing as of March 31, 2018, provided some memories for United Community grad, Gary Knox, who wrote, "my farmer parent's took me every fall to Peoples for my two new, two pair of bib overalls that I wore to school during my grade school days. By the next spring, they sported patches on the knees caused by my boyish antics, including marbles competitions on the Jordan school drive. I got my farm work shoes and flannel shirts, farmer winter caps and coats and mittens for winter chores......all from Peoples."
     He continued, "I remember the wooden floors, the boxes of shoes stored on shelves, mounds of new clothes on display and the wonderful fragrance of leather. When I entered Jordan Junior High, I convinced my parents to buy Levi Blue Jeans that everyone was wearing. I remember the leather Levi logo patch used as a belt loop on the back and how we all got a long enough pair so we could roll up a cuff and show the dark blue seam. But, I couldn't convince my parents to buy me a pair of metal heel clips so I could "clack" down the JHS hallways. In the 1970's, while in Boone for a visit, I took my son to see Peoples. I may try to go for some photos before they close. Sadly, there are lots of goodbyes for we aging Booneites. Peoples is one of them."
     The Kornerman adds, "being much older than Gary, I can add a few things. My memories go back to the days when Bill Mishlove was the owner/operator AND a remembrance of those stories about Peoples actually selling footwear, among other things, direct from a railroad car. Now I can't say I was one of those buyers but, it was during the World War II years, and its a story I've always heard and assume is true unless I hear otherwise. So?"
    "I had a pair of uncles, Hap and George Morris, who worked for Mishlove and, eventually, John Niemants Sr., Bill's right hand man for years, took over. Then, John Niemants Jr. succeeded his dad as the owner/operator until his upcoming retirement. Through the years, there have been other employees, the late Bill Riordan, and Kevin Ross, a current aide, come to mind. Seems to me like there was a Bruce also.....was it Clark? Anyway, I could have some of this info incorrect and if so, I''m  sure I'll hear about any corrections or additions."
   " Its definitely a loss to the Boone community but we are thankful it provided great service for some 95 years."
    P.S. Gary even sent a picture of those years ago, when, as a young lad, he was wearing his cuffed Levis. That picture prompted a smile from the old Kornerman.
K-----K
     Speaking of local business, we understand the proposed reopening of the Legal Limit site is now a no-go.
     Regarding the old Redeker building. We understand it will house four separate businesses, a Dollar Tree, some kind of hair styling/cut business, and Hibbett Sports. We have no info concerning a fourth neighbor.
     According to Google, Hibbett Sports "is a leading athletic inspired fashion retailer with more than 1,000 stores selling sneakers, shoes and fan gear." In other words, it apparently does not deal in bats and balls and gloves etc. but simply sports clothing.
     Some remodeling is planned, with part of the front of the building eliminated to provide additional parking there. Backside loading docks etc. will also be removed for parking.
K-----K
      Attention you out-of-staters: It finally happened. We Iowans got some snow. From late Sunday into Monday, in Boonetown, we registered 5.8 inches.
     However, here's the big news. Betcha didn't know that this is the first time in 770 days (more than two years) that we Iowans have experienced a snowfall of better than three inches.
K-----K
     Mike Loehrer, BHS-64, responded to our last edition personal music expose'. He wrote, "I'm a huge fan of old music, big band and the many songs of the WWII era. My all-time favorite song is one sung by a British woman, Vera Lynn, and its titled, "We'll Meet Again." As a side note, Ms. Lynn, at the age of 100, put out her latest and probably last album in October of 2017."
     Being a disc jockey way back then, sure, I, the Kornerman, remember Vera Lynn and her music.
K-----K
     The Kornerman mentioned Stone Cold in the last edition, wondering if that wasn't the nickname of a wrestler. I got to thinking.......how about Steve Austin? Would that be it? Cold Stone Steve Austin. Maybe not?
K-----K
     7 days to go
     This has really got old buddy Bernie Lewiston befuddled. He couldn't wait......had to ask, "what's going on?" Sorry, not ready to announce yet.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: JoAnn Sandholm, 82, Boone. Boone area survivors include her husband, Mike, and daughter, Pam Ernwine, both of Boone. A son and two brothers also survive...........Ruth Hennick, 88, Ames. Boone area survivor is a son, Calvin Hennick, of Ogden..........Ken Richmond, 83, Corning. Born in Boone. BHS-51. Was a National Guardsman and worked for Northwestern Bell for 32 years in Winterset and West Des Moines prior to retirement. He married Geraldine (Jeri) Moore in 1954. She is deceased. Survivors include his mother, Eula Mae Richmond, two daughters, sister, Shirley, and brother, Gary.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment