Wednesday, December 16, 2020

REMEMBERING WEST BOONE, HOUSE CALLS AND VACCINES

     In a recent edition, Carolyn Ades Durham, BHS-58, reviewed some of the businesses she remembered from her West Boone days. One that she mentioned was Mac's Drug Store.
     Tom Canfield of Ames, one of the Kornerman's classmates, BHS-53, has responded. He wrote, "my grandfather, Carl Canfield, operated a general store in the same block as the drug store that, I believe, Carolyn referred to. If that is a fact, then the store, which I may not be spelling correctly, was called, Maggie Macoulla's Drug Store."
     Tom said he spent most of his childhood, through fourth grade, in West Boone and was a kindergarten student at Lincoln elementary the first year of its existence in the current building. He indicated he could probably write several pages about West Boone stores from that time and his families time in that area, the old coal mines, the Boone Biblical College with radio station KFGQ and the general way of life during the last of the depression years and the beginning of World War II.
K-----K
     The Kornerman has a special feeling for those young guys who were members of the first Boone Babe Ruth team I coached. I think that was about 1958, just after I returned from two years of military service.
     One of  those 14-15 year olds was Larry Lindmark, BHS-63. He came down from his home in Redwing, MN for "Mo Kelley Day" a couple years ago and we've enjoyed a continuing contact ever since those Ruth days.
     I received a note from Larry this week and he provided a couple things that may inspire some memories from Korner viewers.
     We're in the middle of this current vaccine project so this memory is very apropos at this time.
     Larry wrote, "I remember when my sisters, Beth and Chris or I, would come down  with measles, mumps or chicken pox, a yellow sign would be posted by our front door at 1212 Third Street announcing a quarantine for our house. The county health department was probably responsible for such signs. Dr. Robert Mandersheid, who was in practice with Dr. Gerald Sutton, would come to our house with his little black bag and check up on us. My dad, Bob, had mumps as an adult, which, evidently, was worse than a child having the same ailment. I wonder when the practice of doctors making "house calls" came to an end?"
     Larry continued, "when the breakthrough occurred for a polio vaccine, I remember going over to Boone High School and standing in line to receive an oral vaccine in a white paper pill cup. I believe our family went there after church on at least two Sundays. I'm curious what other people may remember about that event and the year it took place." 
     The Kornerman says, "here was my personal experience. I was heading into seventh grade at BHS in 1947-48, became ill and was diagnosed with polio/spinal meningitis and actually missed most of my initial seventh grade. Enough so, that I repeated that grade. I remember the "iron lung," which I was able to avoid but I also remember the spinal tap and lots of various drugs/vaccines administered every three hours for what seemed like "forever." I have always felt extremely lucky. One leg is a bit smaller than the other and I've had, even to this day, some symptoms that remain or have returned 60 years later via what is called, "Post Polio Syndrome." Hey, I was able to play high school and college athletics and I'm still alive so......."
     Finally, Larry added an interesting side note. "When I was sick, my dad would call KWBG and make a special request for a song about bears. I don't remember the title. So, I would sit in anticipation for the song to come on the radio. Mo, do you remember playing special requests for sick children?"
     The Kornerman says, "Perhaps there were some times when we would answer such requests but I don't remember that we made that a consistent part of our broadcast day."
K-----K
     Holiday time must be here. Appreciate the Korner holiday greetings already received from John and Linda Hinz, Tom Peterson, Mike Loehrer and John and Susan Kueck.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Sharon Loveless Reeves, 78, Boone. Married James Reeves Jr. in 1965 and the couple moved to Boone in 1976. Sharon was a seamstress before becoming an RN. She worked 35 years in the Woodward/Boone/Ogden area, prior to retirement in 2018. Survivors include a daughter, Jayme Farris, of Ogden, many grandchildren in the Boone/Ogden area, her mother, sister, two brothers and a sister-in-law.........Carol Sackrison Larson, 80, Stratford. Born in Boone. Stratford HS-58. Earned a degree from Iowa State Teachers (UNI) and taught kindergarten for 28 years in Stratford. Survivors include her husband, Wayne Larson, of Stratford, two sons including Jay Larson of Stratford and a brother.........Evelyn Rose Fuller, 87, Ames. From 1956-58 served as the dietician at the Boone County Hospital. Survivors include her husband, a son, two sisters and two brothers-in-law..........Doyle Adams, 88, Indianola. While working for the Iowa Conservation Commission, he worked at the Wildlife Exhibit at Ledges State Park...........Mikael Mansmith, 84, West Des Moines. Survivors include a granddaugher, Sarah Jenkins, of Boone.
K------K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment