Wednesday, January 22, 2020

THE CONNECTIONS CONTINUE

     The recent Korner story about Boone native Steve Sellers, BHS-66, has resulted in several "connections." The latest, from a classmate of Steve's, Mike Harris, who now lives in Iowa City.
     Mike wrote, "Steve and I were classmates at BHS. I ran into Steve in the early 70's in the Philippines. Steve was an instructor at the Jungle Survival School that the Air Force ran at Clark Air Base there. I was a student at the Survival School on my way to a PCS move to Udorn Air Base in Thailand. Steve invited me to his house and I got a chance to meet his wife and infant. Then, he took me out for a few beers at a local establishment. I thought that must be a cool job working as an instructor at a survival school. Maybe Steve would disagree. I remember the visit fondly, and thinking how weird it was to meet a classmate so far from Boone."
     Mike added, "Speaking of the Philippines, the eruption of Taal volcano there has been in the news lately after it erupted last week. My daughter, Kelli, is a teacher at the International School in Manilla. Every year, she takes a group of seventh grade students on a field trip to Taal, which is just outside of Manilla. Last February, my wife and I visited the Philippines and Kelli arranged for a car to take us  to Taal, where we hiked to the top of the volcano. We had a picture taken and it shows a lake in the background but that lake is no longer there. The heat from the eruption evaporated all the water. I'm pretty sure they won't be taking the students to Taal next year."
     The Kornerman says, "yes, Mike did send a nice picture from the top of that volcano. I would feel remiss if I didn't mention that Mike was certainly one of the elite athletes I have ever covered during my many years as a Boone "sports guy." He was a first-team all-state quarterback, a track and basketball athlete and really excelled in baseball, as well, in those days when kids played ALL sports rather than specializing in just one or two. I've always said I've never seen a guy get from home base to first as fast as Mike Harris did. I remember that time and time again  he would hit a "routine" grounder to the shortstop and win the race to first base."
K-----K
     More athletic chatter: The grandsons of Boone folks, Eldon and Ann Hutcheson and Larry and Nancy Hughes, have certainly made them proud, just as the Boone residents own kids did as Toreadors "back in their day."
     Just read the other day that grandson Trey Hutcheson, who was a standout basketball player at Linn-Mar High School in the Cedar Rapids area, is continuing great play as just a college freshman at Albany......way out in the New York area.
     Playing 23.5 minutes per game, he's been averaging 7.1 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game and hit 18 points in a recent win over Niagara.
K-----K
     A few teacher memories from Mike Loehrer, BHS-64. "I'm sure my favorite teachers had a great deal to do with my interests. I know Boone was blessed to have many fine instructors. As I think back, most all of the teachers were veterans. Clair Abbott was an outstanding history teacher as was Ralph Carroll. I'm sure their experiences with WWII and the Depression had a great deal to do with their empathy for kids."
     Mike added, "I was absolutely horrible at math. Vaughn Thornburg was a taskmaster but worked with me in algebra. She had the patience of a saint. I was totally afraid of her. Jim Sanders was the same way in geometry. DeVan Hershey was my ninth grade English instructor. He was very good. When he laughed, he reminded me of Buddy Hackett. One of my all-time favorites was Jim Highbarger. He taught typing, which has allowed me to send you this email. I never wanted to do wrong in his class. My big concern was to make sure I didn't get my fingers stuck between the keys."
     The Kornerman says, "school days, school days......good old fashioned......"
K-----K
     Do you ever get a song in your head and it lingers for quite some time?
     I came across some B.J. Thomas songs recently and ever since, "Hey, won't you play another somebody done somebody wrong song?" has been rolling around in my noggin.
     B.J., who had the big version of "Raindrops fallin'" and other hits like, "I just can't help believin'" has always been a great singer so, at least, its some sounds I enjoy.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Marilyn Craig McCrory, 84, Des Moines. Born in Boone. Her parents were Roscoe and Roxie Craig. Survivors include three daughters, a son and step-daughter..........Florence Peck, 98, Colorado. In 1933 she married Andrew Johnson and the couple moved to a farm near Stratford. In 1939, she married Albert Oliver. After Albert's death, she attended and earned a degree from AIB in Des Moines. She married Spencer Peck and the couple moved to Sharpsburg, IA but later, lived in Bella Vista, AK and moved to Denver in 1985. Three daughters survive.........Darrell Harris, 82, Des Moines. Formerly of Ridgeport. Born in Boone County. BHS-55. Married Gayle Chelsvig in 1957 and the couple lived in the Ridgeport area. In the 70's, they moved to Des Moines. National Guard vet. Worked for Erickson Holiday Gas stations at various locations in administrative positions. Later, was a salesman. A son and two daughters, including Lois Harris of Ames survive.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment