Saturday, January 11, 2020

HE THANKS HIS MENTORS

     What an inspiring story.
     Now in hospice, Steve Sellers, BHS-66, via a phone conversation Friday, said, "I don't know how much time I have left, but I decided that I wasn't going to sit around feeling sorry for myself but, instead, would devote time  remembering those individuals who have made an impact on my life and many other young people and to assure these mentors, they haven't been forgotten. That's why I decided to contact you."
     Steve grew up in Boone, the son of Jim, BHS-34, and Marge Taylor Sellers. Walt Sellers, BHS-38, was an uncle and Steve had a sister, Diane, BHS-72. Unfortunately, all of those close relatives are gone. Steve said, "my sister died and a short time later, my mother passed away at 95. Her mother, Hazel Taylor, lived to be 108. Boone people might remember my mother as being a nurse in Dr. Mandersheid's office."
     Steve worked at Red Fox Sporting Goods for Bill Smith and Harold Wilson during his high school days and eventually, spent 30 years in the U.S. Air Force.
     "the Air Force sent me to Converse, TX in 1988 and I've been here ever since. I've been back to Boone for weddings and funerals, on occasion, and did attend my 20th class reunion but you know, after a period of time, I found I didn't have a lot in common with my former classmates," Steve said.
"I don't do much on the computer but I do look at your blog," he added.
     Some of those non-relatives he mentioned as "having an impact when I was growing up" were Smith and Wilson, Frank Furst, his first youth baseball coach; Maury Wilson, who got him interested in the Boy Scouts; and various school teachers and coaches.......Merle Harris, Ralph Carroll and even his high school Principal Glenn Moore and Boone Junior College instructor Lyle Poyzer.
     Steve has been married for 48 years with two grown kids and several grandchildren and great grandchildren.
     As the Kornerman, all I can say is, "what a great, thankful attitude and with a wonderful idea under dire circumstances. I know that all of his classmates, other friends and Korner readers wish him the absolute best. My friend, you've really given us some positive things to think about as we move forward in this life. Our prayers and thoughts are with you."
     P.S. I invited Steve to call back any time he would like a little more conversation. Come to think about it, I don't think he would mind if I listed his phone number......210-316-6166. Some of you viewers may be interested in reconnecting with him.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Larry Reed, 88, Ames. Formerly of Boone. Woodward HS-53. U.S. Army vet. Married Mary Ann Hasstedt in 1957. Worked as a custodian for Boone and Madrid High Schools and at ISU. Retired in 1993. Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann, son Mearl and grandson Patrick Reed all of Boone. A daughter and grandson, Ross Reed, of Ogden also survive..........Ila Gene Anderson, 94, Boone. Formerly of Stratford. Earned a GED in 1976. Was a homemaker, worked at an Ellsworth plant from 1957-62, cleaned houses and was a cook at the Boone County Home and Stratford Nursing Home. Married Arvid Anderson in 1943. After his passing, she married Wendall Caster. Survivors include son, Don, of Boone, and son Dick and daughter, Darlene, both of Stratford. A daughter Dixie and two sisters also survive..........Ferol Wegner, 91, Ankeny. Formerly of Des Moines. Survivors include a daughter, Elizabeth "Liz" Murry of Madrid...........Kay Heimes, 77, Boone. Grew up in Des Moines. Married Jerry Leonard. The couple had three children and lived in Granger. Kay worked for the VA in Des Moines, a Granger bank and for the Iowa National Guard. She married Ken Heimes and inherited his four daughters. They lived in Luther and then Boone. Husband Ken and several of the couples "kids" survive.
K-----K
     Worldwide korner headquarters are still located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     NOTE: Due to all these fake infomercial calls we receive, we don't answer our phone if we don't recognize the number. Instead, we rely on the caller leaving a message if they truly wish to contact us. Thankfully, Steve Sellers did leave a message and we called him back.
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment