Saturday, November 16, 2019

OLD FRANKLIN

     In response to our last edition, Tony Crandell, BHS-59, wrote, "Ah yes.....Boone J.C..I remember well......the old Franklin building. I was there September of 1959 until May of 1961. I was one, of many, who volunteered to dig out, by hand, part of the unfinished basement for the snack bar. Some of the instructors I remember were Winifred Barquist, Lyle Poyzer, Miss Tisdale and Everett Porter. Everybody liked Everett and his crooked pipe. Although I never made the Dean's list, I was sent to the Dean's office a couple of times. Bob Gunderson, now deceased, an old KWBG alum, and I were there together. We both worked at KWBG until Bob went to the Air Force. I left KWBG and went to Fort Leonard Wood in 1963."
     Your editor missed out on that experience. When I attended, the college was located on the third floor of the high school building. Yes, I'm a proud 1955 graduate of BJC and the morning after graduation, I graduated into Army service with an immediate trip to Des Moines, followed by a train ride to Camp Chaffee, Arkansas.
K-----K
     Larry Lindmark, BHS-63, wrote, "I was just looking through old Boone postcards on ebay and happened to come across a Boone ham radio postcard. I remember that was a popular hobby for high school students back in the 60's. Several classmates, such as Ted Gifford, were ham radio enthusiasts. Postcards, with their call letters or numbers, were sent to people with whom they had contact. I wonder how many of your viewers had that interest in their youth or, perhaps, still have maintained that hobby today?
     EDITOR'S NOTE: Yes, my first experience with ham radio occurred those many years ago on the north side. I grew up on Crawford Street....1710.....and in the next block south, the Gustafson family was located. Harold was the dad and his sons were Don, BHS-50, and Dean. I believe Harold worked for the Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern railroad and he was a very active ham radio operator. I remember viewing his mammouth equipment and I recall one instance when I was there that he was visiting with someone in some very far-off land. I was very impressed.......I mean this was in the late 1940's.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Mitchell Melchert, 47, Ogden. OHS. Worked with his dad, Maynard, at M and M Construction. Survivors include his wife, Lisa, of Ogden, four daughters, Allison Hamilton and Mallory Melchert of Boone and Allyssa Melchert and Holly Melchert of Ogden. Also surviving are a sister, Malory Jennnings, and his father, Maynard. Lexi Elliott and Katie Moran also survive........Charles Darner, 71, Boone. Born in Boone. Married Lisa Stille in 2006. Was a mechanic and U.S. Army vet. Survivors include his wife, Lisa, of Boone, three daughters including Jennifer Derry of Boone, a son, Cody Schlichting of Boone, and three brothers including Frank of Boone.........Lois Kemmerer, 93. Gilbert HS-43. Married Kenneth Kemmerer in Boone in 1949. A son and daughter survive........Margaret "Tootie" Pepper Way, 96, Boone. She moved near Boone, close to two daughters, in 2007. A son, Ron Way, and three daughters, Donna Weiss, Connie Sutton and Peggy Sills, survive as well as two brothers.
K-----K
      Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment