Wednesday, November 20, 2019

HAM RADIO OPERATIONS

     Larry Lindmark, BHS-63, actually got this edition started Saturday with a short note mentioning ham radio operations. That sparked some audience interest.
     Former (I was going to say "old" but.....) workmate, Bernie Lewiston wrote, "you certainly got my interest when you repeated Larry's mention of ham radio. I earned my first license in 1957 when I was a freshman at Perry High School. My activity has been on and off over the years, but I am very active now. I currently hold an Amateur Extra Class license, the highest class available. Every morning, I am "on the air" at 5:30 a.m. talking to a group of guys in the eastern, southeast and midwestern parts of the U.S.. One guy checks in from Columbia, South America but he uses a computer to access amateur stations in the U.S..Then, I check in with another group at 7:45 a.m..We also have an Iowa traffic net that meets twice daily at 12:30 and 5:30 p.m..I, occasionally, participate in some contests and contact foreign stations either by morse code or by voice. As you may recall, when I was at KWBG I was the Chief Engineer, and I still hold a commercial radio operator license."
     EDITOR'S NOTE: Sure sounds like something of great interest......just like a "local" coffee gathering except featuring chatter from all over the world..........rather than the latest police report and/or local business move. Interesting to hear from "different" voices and opinions. Also noted is the fact that its quite obvious my old buddy no longer has a "real job." Idle time is dominant.
K-----K
     Chazz Bee, aka Chuck Brainard, BHS-50, offered a lengthy reply......some, of which, your editor would term, "very technical." As a result, we'll break it up a bit with some "news" this time and a continuation of the more technical aspect in the next edition.
     Chuck wrote, "Both Vern Modeland - WOJOG, and myself, Chuck Brainard - KA1PM, both BHS '50 are active hams, both were licensed in the 60's. Others from BHS-50 that I recall were hams were Chuck Anderson and Dave Hudson, both SK (Silent Key) now. It's a great hobby. Although I hold a degree in Geology, my ham radio license opened doors and I worked in the electronic industry for some time and then started my own company in 1986, designing and manufacturing antennas, ham, commercial and MIL. I sold it in 2004, it moved to Michigan when it is still "getting after it". I've met and worked with some great minds due to my hobby, Art Collins of Collins Radio in Cedar Rapids and Seymour Cray of Cray Research and Cray Computing (super computers.) People that you might know of that I've talked to comprise a small list, Barry Goldwater - K7UGA, Arthur Godfrey and King Hussein of Jordan - JY1. Tim "the Tool Man" is a ham as is Donny Osmond but I've not talked to them."
     EDITOR'S NOTE: This is interesting material and we'll continue next edition with Chuck's recollections of overseas work and contacts.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Beatrice Schilling Freeman, 94, Jefferson. Formerly of Boxholm...........Kevin Frey Sr., 60, Madrid. Born in Boone. Madrid HS-75. DMACC. Was a truck driver and welder. Also owned and operated Elmo's Bar in Madrid. Survivors include his mother and two sons, including Kevin Jr. of Madrid.........Gary Shull, 83, Urbandale. Gary and wife, Majorie Rudert, lived on their farmlet in Boone County before moving to Urbandale. His wife is among the survivors. The family requested donations toward a tree or bench at the Iowa Arboretum near Madrid.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment