Wednesday, July 4, 2018

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY

     In the last edition, the Kornerman speculated that it was a Boone native who we hear on the radio and TV serving as a spokesman for the Iowa Games.
     That has now been verified because we have heard from that spokesman.
     Cory Kennedy, BHS-2000, wrote, "my great uncle, Bill Kennedy, brought to my attention that you had mentioned my name in your Kelley's Korner on June 30. Thank you for that. I have been at the Iowa Games now for nearly 12 years. I will celebrate my 12-year anniversary in September of this year. I'm sure you can relate, but it is awesome coming to a job that you love every day. I remember back when I was in college and did an internship with the Iowa Games. I knew it would be a great place for me. After getting my Master's degree at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, I was fortunate enough to move back to Iowa and get this job. Hope all is well with you."
     I, the Kornerman replied that I was very happy he found his "dream" job and indicated it must be interesting also to work with former Hawkeye All-American quarterback, Chuck Long, the Executive Director of the Iowa Games.
K-----K
     Not much news during this holiday period so I turned to music. I did some scanning on YouTube and happened to come across some work by Michael Bolton. He wrote and sang, himself, his one big hit song that I'm familiar with and its a terrific piece.
     There are many, many renditions I found, usually via duets. One I pulled up featured Jennifer Nettles and someone I wasn't familiar with, JRome. What a terrific song and version. I haven't been able to get it out of my head for days.
     Oh, I almost forgot to mention the song......"How am I suppose to live without you?" Surely you remember that.Written in 1983,  it didn't come to the forefront until 1989.
     The more I hear from Jennifer Nettles, the more I think she is the best pop singer of this day.
     P.S. I also came across that magnificent rendition of the National Anthem by Whitney Houston which may never be topped. She performed it in 1991 at the start of the Super Bowl game in Tampa.
I had to listen to that one, especially at this time of year when we're celebrating this great country of ours.
K-----K
     Along that same patriotic line, I'm going to do a bit of promoting.
     We have a very young Optimist Club in Boone and as a fundraiser, they have a project I think is very worthy. Jo and I have "signed up."
     For $35 per year, the club will display a flag at our home on five holidays: Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and Veterans Day.
     The flags will be set by club members at dawn each of those days and taken down at dusk. Its a 3'x5' nylon flag flown from a 10' pole. They are placed in a permanent grommet set in your yard. You can purchase this service for yourself or as a gift for a friend or family. All of the proceeds help the Optimist Club of Boone support Boone's youth and families.
     Our flag will be flying today (7-4) if you'd like to take a look.
     For more info, an address to contact is 714 Fifth Street or you can call....641-485-1040 or 641-870-0190.
K-----K
     FROM THE ARCHIVES:
     In 1997, I, the Kornerman, was the Publications Director at the Iowa High School Athletic Association. In my spare time,? I wrote a series of articles for the Boone News Republican about Boone High School graduates who were very successful in various areas.......music, sports, government etc.
     As long as we've been talking music, the following is one of those articles recalling successful BHS musicians. Please keep in mind, even though many things have changed in the 20 plus years since, I'm reprinting the story exactly as it appeared "back then." Here we go!
     Two outstanding Boone High School graduates with musical ties are Kenneth Bloomquist, a 1949 alumnus, and Ruth Jane Mauck, a 1939 grad.
     Bloomquist was quite a renowned band musician, and he parlayed his own talents into the teaching of others. In addition to being an important member of music departments, he led the marching bands at the University of Kansas and at Michigan State University.
     Mauck was an assistant professor of voice at what is now the University of Northern Iowa. She had extensive training, including work at the famed Julliard School of Music, New York. She also appeared in several Broadway operas.
     Boone High's music department has always been held in high regard. Konrad Scholl was known as one of the state's outstanding orchestra directors. Many of his units were invited to perform at events all over the midwest.
     Then, there was the Rose Bowl band. On January 1, 1963, the 92-member Toreador marching band culminated months of preparation and fund-raising by appearing in the Rose Parade. The director was Gordon McLean.
     Mary Ellen "M'el" Dowd, BHS-51, is probably the school's number one entertainment grad. She appeared in Broadway productions of "Camelot" and "Sweet Bird of Youth," among others. Her co-stars on stage included Tyrone Power, Celeste Holm and Basic Rathbone. M'el also appeared in movies with Henry Fonda and Bing Crosby and was cast in several television shows."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Rose Abbey, 91, Boone. She was preceeded in death by her husband, Bruce. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Sharon, and son, Robert, as well as two brothers and a sister.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment