Saturday, July 14, 2018

ANOTHER KELLEY CHECKS IN

     The Kornerman enjoyed a lengthy email from Jarrod Kelley (no relation) who calls Alexandria, MN home. He wrote, "anytime I mention to someone I'm from Boone Iowa and they realize my last name is Kelley, the first question usually is "are you related to Mo Kelley." I guess, even if not by blood, by Boone's water. Ha."
     Actually, Jarrod's time in Boone was limited. "I was born in Boone in 1972. We lived outside of Stratford until my folks were divorced when I was about six. We moved to Boone and I lived there until the fourth quarter of my sophomore year when we moved to Ankeny, from where I graduated in 1991."
     There's another Boone connection coming.
     He wrote, "I loved growing up in Boone and playing all sports, especially baseball. I remember the exceptional Boone Little League program. I also remember finishing runnerup in 1988 in Babe Ruth state baseball competition to Cedar Rapids under the direction of Kevin Pearson. I, essentially, missed out on playing for BHS, BUT, guess who became my varsity coach at Ankeny once I moved there? That's right, Mel Murken, BHS-59, whom you mentioned in a recent column. I was such an immature kid back then, not realizing just how good of coaching I had. I missed out on some coaching from former Boone coach Rick Davis, BHS-66, but I became an all-conference player under Murken's direction in the Central Iowa Metro League (CIML). I'm not sure I ever even knew coach Murken was from Boone."
     Jarrod, a UNI grad, was the Sports Editor at the Oelwein Daily Register for a year, prior to moving into the magazine editor/photographer role for a publisher in Minneapolis. "I now reside in Alexandria with my wife, Michelle, and three kids. I own by own communications company that caters to businesses in the off-road industry offering PR, media relations and consulting. I've also started coaching some baseball at the high school and legion levels."
     He concluded, "thanks for your great blog and an informative way to catch up with the news from my former stomping grounds where I probably put 4,000 miles on my mo-ped driving to Babe Ruth games."
K-----K
     There will be music in the air today (Sat) as the 27th annual Iowa Municipal Band Festival hosts seven other bands at the Herman Park Pavilion.
     Here's the lineup: 11 a.m.  Marshalltown Municipal Band; 12 noon - Tri County Community Band (New Liberty); 1 p.m. Burlington Municipal Band; 2 p.m. Bob Gaston Casi New Horizons Band (Quad Cities); 3 p.m. Ames Municipal Band; 4 p.m. Bettendorf Park Band; 5 p.m. Heart of Iowa Senior Band (Ames); 6 p.m. Boone Municipal Band.
     See the fantastic reputation this event has earned. Bands from quite a distance.......Burlington, Bettendorf and Quad Cities......wanting to be involved.
     This Festival is great for the community.
K-----K
     Here we go again......
     This week, the new owners of McDonald's in Boone, were in town to further inspect their facility here and talk to employees.
     It is reported that they "fully realize the condition of the current facility and the need for improvements and the plan is for a new building to be constructed on the northernmost side of the current lot. The current building, meantime, will, reportedly, remain in operation during the "new" construction next spring so "the employees will retain their jobs during the transition.""
     Hold your breath. Seems like we've heard something like this before.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Jean Peterson, Bradenton, FL. Formerly of Boone.They moved to Boone to farm with husband Raymond's parents. Jean worked for the Census Bureau. The couple moved to Florida in 1983. Two daughters survive.........Norman Lycke, 86, Oswego, IL. Born in Boone. BHS-50. Navy vet. Earned a degree from the State University of Iowa. Worked for a pharmaceutical company from 1972-1997. His wife, Carleta, and five children survive. Boone area survivor is a sister-in-law, Vy Lycke, of Boone.......Lafe Wirtz, 83. Born in Pilot Mound. His wife, Catherine Harvey, preceded him in death........Lela Grems, 85, Urbandale. Formerly of Boone. She and her husband, Marvin, lived in Boone, even after the couple were divorced. She was a housekeeper. A daughter, two sisters and a brother survive.......Dr. Paul Winans Jr., 84, Lee's Summit, MO. BHS-51. Was a high school teacher and college professor. Army vet. Survivors include his wife, Gwen, and four children........David Mataya, 76, Madrid. Marine vet. Firestone employee for 30 years. Retired in 1996. David is survived by a daughter, Angie, son, Matt of Madrid, two sisters including Marcia Pickell of Boone, and three brothers including Eddie Mataya of Madrid.........Dean Olson, 83, Largo, FL. Formerly of Dayton. Worked at Jensen Dairy and Hormel's before owning and operating Olson Construction. Was a Hall of Fame fast pitch softball pitcher, mainly for the Boxholm Swedes. His wife, Joyce, and two daughters survive as do two sisters and three brothers. Two of the brothers, Gene and Bob, reside in Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment