Saturday, June 16, 2018

FINALLY, THE TRUTH PREVAILS

     Wendall (Spike) Condon, BHS-75, checked in from Germany this week.
     Here's what he wrote, "congratulations on the Mo Kelley Day in Boone. Most deserving I'm sure. I am saddened that I will miss it by two days. We are coming back from Germany for a Henning family reunion that weekend. I do have a funny story about my dad, Vern, BHS-49."
     "He had told me, when I was a teenager, that if you put a little gum foil on the tip of a light bulb, a fuse would be blown when the light was turned on. One Halloween, he had put a small piece of foil on the tip of one of the neighbor's porch light bulbs. When trick or treaters came to the door, the neighbor would turn the porch light on, poof, the house went black until the neighbor put in a new fuse. Years later, someone, who looked like me, wondered if that really did work."
     "I was in George Sharp's auto shop in high school (a great class and teacher). It was really noisy in there so, in addition to the school bell going off at the end of the period, a light bulb next to the bell would come on. At the end of one period, the bell rang and the light came on for a nano second and the light went poof. It got quiet, the clock stopped and power tools went dead."
     "The next morning, at the end of the period, the bell again rang and again, poof, all power was off. I thought this was pretty funny but I didn't say anything to anybody. On the third day, when I arrived at shop, there was an electrician's van in the driveway. Uh-oh. As soon as nobody was looking, I went to the light bulb and took out the foil. I still laugh to this day about this and have never told anyone. This is self-disclosure. I hope the school doesn't come back asking me to pay for the electrician now.  So, really, this is all my dad's fault.........right? I hope this finds you well Mo. Hope you enjoyed the story. I read your blog every week."
K-----K
     Jo and I enjoyed a beautiful evening at the band concert Wednesday night.
     Next Wednesday is "Big Band Night" which we're looking forward too also. Then, of course, the annual Iowa Band Festival will be coming on July 14 this year.
     My-oh-my what a lineup they have for the festival. To show how prestigious this event is, we noted that three bands are coming from quite a distance to participate. How about this? Bands from the Quad Cities, Bettendorf and Burlington are lined up for an appearance here.
K-----K
     Tony Crandell, BHS-69, provides more info regarding the note from Gary Knox in the last edition about a grocery store. Tony wrote, "hmmm, grocery store in the vicinity of the Central Christian Church?? I really think he had in mind the First Methodist Church at Seventh and Arden. There was Don Coats Super Value across, south of the Hotel Holst at Eighth and Arden and.......here we go......waaay back......there was an A&P store directly across the street, east of the Methodist Church in the 1940's, where you could call your order in and then, literally "drive through the store" and pick your order up."
K-----K
     Remember Andy Rooney? Now deceased, he was a stalwart on the TV show, "Sixty Minutes" for many years. Here are a few of his,"I've learned that suggestions."
     I'VE LEARNED THAT the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. (2) That being kind is more important than being right. (3) That money doesn't buy class. (4) To ignore the facts doesn't change the facts. (5) A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.(6) That just one person saying to me "you've made my day" does make my day.  (7) That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help in any other way. (8) That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. (9) Under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Wayne Hougham, 57, Jefferson. Boone area survivors include a son, Andy Hougham, and a daughter, Megan Hougham, both of Boone. His wife, Beth, and two other daughters also survive........Bertha Irene Berry, 87, Boone. Boone area survivors include her "family" Kelly, Clara and Courtney Barbour and Dee Love all of Boone........Dale Simonson, 96, Stratford. Married Inez Fostberg in Stratford in 1942. They farmed in the Boone/Stratford area and Dale raised Arabian horses. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Carol Harris, and son, John Simonson, both of Stratford. A son and two other daughters also survive........Ed Brice, 79, Boone. Born in Boone. BSH-57. Air Force vet. Earned a degree in Applied Physics from the University of Missouri. Married Charlene Kruse in 1966. Worked in the St. Louis area, owned and operated Brice Engineering in Boone from 1973-84, and worked at the National Animal Disease Lab in Ames until retirement in 2006. Boone area survivors include his wife, Charlene, and three daughters, including Jennifer of Ames. Four brothers and a sister also survive........Bob Shadle, 78, Beaver. Was a truck driver, worked for Harris TV Repair in Ames, had his own TV repair shop in Boone for several years and worked for Travis Audio in Des Moines until retirement in 2005. In his later years, he was a crossing guard for Boone schools and served as a minister for a Beaver church.........Gladys Blougher, 91, Perry. Was married to John Dean Blougher in Woodward in 1954. Was a teacher. Boone area survivor is a daughter, Alma Swanson, of Ogden.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment