Wednesday, June 20, 2018

CARRYIN' OUT GROCERIES

     THE KORNERMAN UNDERSTANDS THERE WAS SOME CONFUSION ON THE DATE FOR MO KELLEY DAY. I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT COULD BE BECAUSE  EVERYTHING I'VE SEEN SAYS JULY 21.......NOT JUNE 21. APPARENTLY SOME KNEW THE DATE AND
JUST assumed IT WAS IN JUNE.
     THE CORRECT DATE IS THE 21ST OF JULY.
K-----K  
      Ron Hopkins, BSH-59, writes from Washington State, "congratulations on the much deserved recognition July 21. I will not be in the Boone area at that time, but do hope to visit in the early fall. Maybe I can catch you again at McDonald's."
     He added, "Gary Knox mentioned, "carryout boys" in a recent blog, stimulating some memories. His description suggests that he may be remembering the Super Value on the southeast corner of Eighth and Arden, diagonally across eighth from the old post office site to the west and the oft-mentioned People's Clothing store to the east. I worked there as a carryout boy from October to March of my junior year stocking shelves and sweeping the old, worn wooden floors. I think potatoes were ten pounds for 49 cents instead of $1 each, and I seem to remember we sold lots of potatoes in 25 and 50-pound bags. If I am correct, people ate lots of potatoes. The only other employee I can remember was an especially pleasant clerk named Darlene or Arlene. She was probably mid-20's or a bit more at that time, and I remember seeing her years later as a clerk at the Seventh and Story Fareway after it was remodeled. The next year, I also worked carryout for about six months at the "newer" Safeway which I think was on Marshall between Sixth and Seventh. Carryout wasn't a bad job, but it did have limited career opportunities. In my experience, it was definitely easier than the farm work Gary said he later did. Keep up the interesting work."
     The Kornerman worked in grocery stores as well. My folks opened their Superette store on 17th street in 1950 and I worked off and on in that store until working at KWBG radio from 1953-55 took some of my time while also finishing my high school and junior college days. I loved(?) taking potatoes from a huge sack and distributing in five and 10 pound bags. I did some delivering of phoned-in orders to the various rooms of the Eastern Star Home and Evangelical Home as well. Then too, I had a job at other Boone groceries. On Friday, bread truck drivers would leave lots of their products in the "back room" as well as on the store shelves for weekend sale. It was my job to go to those stores, pick up the items from the back room and fill in the "holes" in the shelves.
K-----K
     We haven't said much about the old Redeker's building recently. We did notice in the city council minutes that the proposed project there is still a "go." All city requirements have apparently been taken care of and the project is moving forward.
     The latest indication that is happening is the demolition now occuring on the north end of the building, which I recall as being the newest addition to that building. You in-towners can drive by and notice that the "walls are coming down," on that portion of the building.
     There's been no official announcement.......just lots of rumors about what will fill the remains of the building. We've heard everything from a Dollar Tree to a dance studio to a sports clothing store to an Arby's to.....????
K-----K
     If you like big band style music, tonight's the night for the Boone Big Band to perform at the usual Wednesday night concert at McHose Park. Hope the weatherman cooperates.
K-----K
     Some thoughts (stolen of course): (1) you never saw a fish on the wall with its mouth shut. (2) you may forget whom you laughed with but you will never forget whom you wept with. (3) the art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Gary Hagge, 84, Dayton. Born in rural Ogden. His parents were Paul and Verna McVicker Hagge. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Brenda Dodson, of Boxholm. Three sons and a brother also survive.........Carl Schnoor, 98, Perry. Earned degrees in engineering and law from the University of Iowa. Had a 58 year career in civil engineering. Served as the Boone County Engineer for 25 years. A son and three daughters survive.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment