Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Boone Connected Deaths

     Charles (Chuck) Lovin came to Boone in the early 50's and made a definite impact here as a teacher/coach at Boone High School and a community supporter.
     Chuck passed away Saturday at age 97.
     Tom Peterson, BHS-67, was the first to inform the Korner of his passing. That was followed immediately by notes from Loren Frazier, BHS-58, and Mike Loehrer, BHS-64.
      Loren wrote, "I didn't have time for sports in my school days. I worked after school, starting in fourth grade and continuing until I got out of ISU.......but I think I had him for a teacher in the ninth grade. I  think it was World Geography and if that recollection is correct, what he taught me "took." I still know quite a bit about world geography. He was a legend in his own time and will be remembered and mourned by hundreds of people whose life he has influenced."
      Mike remembered, "if i'm not mistaken, the passing of Coach Blaker last week and then Mr. Lovin means that all of our teachers and coaches from the class of '64 are gone. I know its a part of life but we were so blessed to have such fine role models as parents and teachers. I'll never forget my first encounter with Mr. Lovin. I was in ninth grade and in the Guidance Office with Dick Musser. Mr. Lovin said something to the effect, "Loehrer, I hear you're goofing around in Mr. Brown's science class. I don't remember my comeback but it wasn't a good one. He dropped me like cut wheat. The next I knew, I was seeing stars on the ceiling while on my backside. Gosh, I loved that guy."
     I,  the Kornerman, also remember having Chuck in a geography class. Not only a good teacher, he was an excellent coach with some outstanding girls basketball and boys golf teams. A good golfer himself, he was also quite the card player...........one of many who played poker quite often in my dad's basement over a 50 year period,  believe it or not.
     The Korner extends sincere condolences to his daughter, Shelly Dannatt, son, Chuck Jr., and all those who admired and loved him.
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Rose Perkovich Catron, 85, Altoona. Luther HS. Boone area survivor is a sister, Ann Harris, of Madrid.......Larry Adix, 77, Boone. Was a farmer, drove a milk truck and milked cows. Also drove a tour bus for CIT and school buses for Ames and United Com.
........LTC David Cottington, 82, Copperas Cove, TX. Tall Dave was a very good basketball player at Jordan High School. Services in Texas..........Julie Rickertt, 58, Boone. Worked at Hawkeye Laundry, Merit Baking, HyVee and cleaned homes. Boone area survivors include a son, Jeremy Bogue, and daughter, Stacey Vote, both of Boone........Mary Laube, 92, Boone. Born in Boone County. Was a homemaker. Boone area survivors include sons, Randy of Boone and Jay of Jefferson, and a sister, Vera Lindgren, of Boone.........Bonnie Richard, 68, Pleasant Hill. Her husband, Galen Richard, survives.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments,SUPPORT.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment