Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Thanks For the Long History but No Thanks For..........

     The Boone News Republican has announced that as of August 30, 2016, editions will no longer be printed on Tuesdays or Saturdays. After that date, an edition will be printed once-weekly, each Thursday. In simplest terms, the Boone community now has a weekly newspaper rather than a three-times per week, like most recently, or a daily......like it was for so many years........starting in the late 1800's.
     Amid my tears, I'm trying to decide what further to say. A once daily BNR, of course, dates way back, way beyond any of our lifetimes. The Kornerman feels so grateful to the Garvey's, Mary and Harold, and the Shaub's, Bob and Jeannine, for the BNR job opportunities given to me, first, from my early years, then, to even a few of my later ones. I guess, a total of about 17 years, which may not seem like much. Those years, however, were enough to instill in me a bundle of great experience in so many ways and, perhaps, even more importantly, a great pride in knowing I was a small portion of such a historical part of the Boone community's history. I guess that's why I find it so hard to yield in this matter.
     Look, I am, by no means, a technological or sociological wizard, but at 81 years of age, I'm not a complete dunce either. I do get it!! Times have changed and all that whoop-de-do. I do understand the changing landscape. What bothers me is that, in my opinion, this eventuality has come without a proper fight. Non-resident owners who took charge several years ago, have never had a real "feel" for the community and made little or no effort to gain or build on that "feel." Again, in my opinion, that outside influence has overshadowed any sincere efforts to bolster any local survival effort. Instead of trying to slow down the BNR's demise, bad, real bad decisions actually increased the rapid rate of destruction.
     Yes, I fully understand consumer support for the BNR has decreased but, perhaps with better decisions, that may not have occurred.......at least so quickly. In my mind, rather than blaming the rowers, its the coxswain, those who steer and coordinate the boat, that should shoulder the major criticism.
     Its always been known as the BOONE News Republican but in too many recent times, the Boone part has been ignored or, at least, not given the full attention it deserved. Outside governing eyes and thoughts have, instead, drifted too far away from our town and now we're seeing the ultimate result.
K-----K
     Bill Wallace, BHS-70, wrote, "I hope your saw the Cubs game-winning safety squeeze the other night. Extra innings, winning run on third and one away. A pitcher is pinch-hitting for another pitcher as the Cubs have used all there other bench players. Two strikes on the hitter and the safety squeeze is called by Manager Joe Maddon and executed to perfection! It made me think of you in your Babe Ruth coaching days. In my Babe Ruth days, two managers called a lot of squeeze plays, you and Mel Murken. Mel used the suicide squeeze and you used the safety squeeze, as I recall. I appreciate your work, Kornerman." The Kornerman replies, "that was quite a game, lots of great action and the right team won. I was glad I saw it all."
K-----K
     Boone Connected Deaths: Fred Kokemiller, 78, Madrid/Boone. Farmed with his father-in-law in southern Boone County. Boone area survivors include his wife, Shirley, and son, Greg, both of Madrid and son, Kelley, of Boone.........Bernie Landals, 85, Boone. Pilot Mound HS-50. Worked for George Rolfes Company and Mid States Steel. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Lori Stoneburner, and Bernie's former wife, Jacque Marshall, both of Boone and a sister, Phyliss Leaverton of Urbandale........Roger Brown, 62, Carroll, formerly of Boone.........Jean Peterson, 71, Boone. United HS-63. Worked over 40 years for Boone State Bank and Trust. Boone area survivors include her husband, Gordon, of Boone and son, Brad, of Ankeny...........Harold Harrison II, 55, Boone. United HS-79. Worked on small engines in Ames and did some service work for Walmart. Boone area survivors include his fraternal twin brother, Harvey, and sister, Via Beth Harrison, both of Boone............Woodrow Myers, 98, Boone. BHS-35. Farmed, drove a cab in Boone and worked at Iowa State University..........Lloyd Ryan, 87, Arkansas. Formerly of Waterloo. Boone area survivor is a daughter, Lynne Greiner, of Boone.......Allen Porter, 98, Dayton. Dayton HS-36. In 1937, Allen and two friends got started what eventually became the famous Dayton Rodeo........Ray Kauffman, 64, Harcourt. Boxholm HS-70. Was an Iowa National Guardsman out of Boone. Farmed in the Harcourt area for 39 years. Boone area survivors include his wife, Laurie, of Harcourt, a daughter, Megan Christie of Ogden and a brother, Tom, of Boxholm.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
     
    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment