Wednesday, August 10, 2016

BNR Reaction

     Lots of reaction to the Kornerman's comments on the almost demise of the Boone News Republican. Too much for one edition so........keep watching........future editions.
     Marty Dannatt, BHS-68, wrote, "I remember trying to get on as a BNR paperboy and  that was nearly impossible because that was the best job, at the time, for young boys in Boone. These guys had more money than anyone in town. I followed Denny DeLance around his downtown route because he said he may quit and R.P. Brown (BNR circulation director) would hire me if I knew the route. The papers would come out and the carriers would all get on a big table and fold them for their bags before starting the delivery. Denny never quit and I was never a paperboy for the BNR. I  remember Bill Wiebe, Lonny Tracy and many more had their routes. I wonder how many Korner viewers were part of that group?"
K-----K
     Bernie Lewiston wrote, "I certainly agree that the BNR's move to one day a week is not good. They say the news will be available online every day, but to us old timers, that's not the same as holding printed copy in hand. I have a computer, smart phone, and all of that stuff, but I don't really care for reading newspapers via those devices. My experience is that about the time I really into a story, it goes away, and I have to bring it back up. It gets very frustrating. Another irritation is when you do get a printed copy, you, many times, have to log on to a web site to get the full story. I guess that's the way things are going to be."
K-----K
     Vern Modeland, BHS-50, wrote, "I'm glad you feel a responsibility, as do any real journalists, to continue the fight to bring expansive and objective news articles and events to the hometown public. You can see where the people who have the real estate and printing presses are coming from. No profit, no publish. So, keep on keeping on and let us, who appreciate it so much, help where and how we can. That would be mostly by hitting that address line at the bottom of each weekend and mid-week issue and contribute something."
K-----K
     Davi Mondt Lowman, BHS-67, wrote, "my goodness but I hate to see the printed word go, whether its in the form of newspapers, books, or cursive writing. I believe we will not see a better outcome. For several years, my parents saved the BNR for me to gather up on my frequent trips from Minnesota to Boone. They did this for the 23 years I lived in Minnesota. And mother has continued to save them since we moved back. A glaring reality presented itself through the form of observation. It was clear the BNR was declining, not only in the quality of paper used to print on, but on the continuing focus on all things Boone. The glaring reality first appeared in the advertisement section, it seemed 98-percent of the ads concerned Ames businesses. And, not that I don't enjoy sports, but the overwhelming section devoted to area high school sports got bigger and bigger. What became smaller and smaller was the news about people and events happening in Boone. Please keep writing twice a week! And please encourage more Boone people to email you directly with news."
K-----K
     The Kornerman attended the monthly "microphonies" meeting at the Tavern in West Des Moines a week or so ago. Sat next to John Pascuzzi, the guy who gives movie reviews every so often on channel 8. That provided some very interesting conversation.  He's quite a guy. Oh yes, Larry Cotler was on the other side of me. He is the play-by-play announcer for Drake men's basketball and also has a sports talk show on one of the Des Moines stations. I hadn't seen him since my old IHSAA working days.
K-----K
     No recent deaths to report this time.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support......
kelleyskorner@gmail.com.
    
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment