Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Anyone Else Notice Any Change?

     Has anyone else noticed more and more Ames area influence on the BNR? Am I the only one?
     To me, the Kornerman, more and more news items from "outside" outlets seem prevalent while fewer and fewer Boone related items appear. Even Ames area advertisements seem on the increase in our(?) Boone newspaper. Of course, the Kornerman, because of a long, personal history with the BNR, is, perhaps, more inclined to observe any change than most.
     I understand the Ames, Boone and various other Central Iowa publications are now guided by out-of-state ownership and I also understand that their main interest is a bottom line with few strands of loyalty to Boone, Iowa residents. I'm also aware of the general change in the modern media age, including the struggles of all print media nationwide. Regardless, it's especially heartbreaking to the Kornerman  to watch the slow descent of our local paper from the Garvey/Schaub eras to it's present state.
    Reluctantly, perhaps the time has come to, at least in the Korner, refer to our newspaper as the Ames/BooneNR
K-----K
     Another ex-Booneite has joined our pool.
     Jim Lynch, BHS-62, noted the Kornerman's name in one of Jerry Manriquez emails. That provided a question.
     Jim wrote, "the guy mentioned was a Mo Kelley. I thought, naw, that can't be the guy I knew. Sure enough it is. I doubt you remember me but while I was in high school at BHS, I was a transmitter engineer at KWBG, part time DJ fill-in and also spotted at basketball games for you sometimes. Good to hear you're still kicking and in the publication business. Thanks for keeping up with things while we're away. I'm in the Atlanta area now. After graduating from ISU, I wandered all over the country working. Been retired for 10 years now."
     The always inquisitive Kornerman answered Jim with the news that I did remember him and wondered if, perhaps, it was his dad who had some kind of an electrical service in Boone.
     Jim replied, "yep, my dad ran Erickson Auto Electric just across from the Olds dealer, bowling alley and liquor store. I was a ham radio operator from a young age and was part of a group that worked there including Rich Lamb, BHS-61, and Tony Crandall, BHS-59. I'm guessing you might remember Tony. I worked with computers most of my career and didn't get married until I was 41 and had no kids."
K-----K
     Boone Related Deaths: Dorothy Hammond, 88, Ames. Formerly of Boone. Born in Boone, baptized at Sacred Heart Church in Boone and celebrated her first marriage there. Her parents were Charles and Mabel Yegge. Her first husband was James Baldus, who passed away in 1955. She then married Robert F. Hammond and he passed away in 1984. Among survivors is her sister Helen Carpenter of Boone..........Bobby Pyeatt, 85, Springfield, MO. Survivors include his wife, former Boone resident, Carol Miller Hopkins Pyeatt, BHS-53...........John Venema, 79, Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com

     
     
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment