Saturday, May 30, 2015

Anybody Seen the Thumb?

     It's apparent that the Kornerman is the only person in Boone that, previously, knew nothing at all about Teddy Roosevelt's thumb and it's departure. We're speaking, of course, of the Roosevelt statue in McHose Park.
     Greg Moore, BHS-84, got the subject started when he said something about " tackling the burning issue of who might have Teddy Roosevelt's thumb." Four folks mentioned that subject in emails this week.
     Tom Tays, BHS-78, wrote, "I'm pretty sure I know who has Teddy's thumb or, at least, had it at one time. Not talking though just in case his sister was just making up a story. That said, I think it's true." Michael Goodwin, BHS-63, wrote, "I had thought it was the glasses that were broken off by vandals. I didn't know about the thumb." Janelle Henry, BHS-70, wrote, "Teddy at the park used to have a thumb. Many rumors surround what it has been used for and what happened to it. I am sure someone knows what happened to it but no one has ever fessed up to it nor has it been seen since it was removed. I am not sure what year it happened but I believe it was still part of Teddy in the late 60's." Then there was Tony Crandell, BHS-59,........one other who, like me, confessed that he knew "nothing about that." However, he did have a related story to tell. He wrote, "Jim Anderson, the staff photographer at the Ames/Boone BNR, was my mentor as he knew I wanted to do news photography. He called to tell me he wanted me to go out to McHose to see if the thumb was really missing. It was and my picture of it ran in the Ames/Boone BNR that night. I think it would be fun to find a bronze casting hobby group to cast another thumb. We should have a Korner thumb contest. We could publish a link in the Korner pointing to the measurements and photos on a website and have local artists design a new thumb, suitable for casting. Soldering it on would not be difficult if it was sized right and trimmed to fit. I think it disappeared in about 1961 or 62."
K-----K
     Next, the "Go Boone, Beat Ames," story which, again, got it's start in the Korner, last edition.
     Jon Welin, BHS-70, joined the talk from, "sunny but humid Tampa Bay, FL where I have resided for the last 35 years." Jon wrote, "Now, I'm feeling old after reading about the old CIC days. It seems funny to read that someone was unaware of the old CIC rivalries as that was what I grew up knowing. In any sporting event, the Ames vs Boone matchup was the highlight of the season and I do recall all of the painting that went on with that railroad viaduct at the east end of town." Tom Tays said, "that Ames/Boone message on the overpass is from the mid-70's when we still played Ames in basketball. The original message was in orange spray paint (I saw it myself). Then, the DOT brilliantly patched over it in cement paste of some sort and made it permanent. They should have patched the whole area instead of just the letters. Duh." Janelle Henry added, "that message was put up there in the late 60's. I graduated in 1970 and it was fresh then. I think it had been up a year or two at that point." Mike Loehrer, BHS-64, wrote, "I couldn't help but chuckle at today's Korner regarding the Boone/Ames message."
K-----K
     Ken Aldag, BHS-54, wrote, "was just reading in the Korner about the Canakes clan. Danny's restaurant on 12th and Story was called, "Dan's Grill." Son Dean, BHS-54, was a best friend of mine from grade school days until his untimely passing from MS in 1966. Dean, sister Helen, and older son Tom, all worked in the restaurant. I was a regular customer, particularly during the high school years, when I worked at the North Side Thriftway. On Saturday evenings, the store closed at 9:30 p.m. at which time I would go across the street for a late supper and chat with Dean for a while. My standard order was two hamburgers, fries, a slab of apple pie and a glass of milk, all for about 60 cents. A great deal, even in those days."
K-----K
     More food talk. John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "we fixed an Iowa Maid Rite sandwich meal this week, I believe, from the recipe I picked up from your blog. I was anxious to try it since I remember well the Maid Rites from Boone. Many Friday's my father picked up Maid Rites for supper. They were so good. The recipe didn't quite seem to replicate the taste I remember but it brought back great memories. I was wondering if you or a reader remembers what a Maid Rite cost in the 1950"s."
K-----K
     Tony Crandell, BHS-59, has a more detailed and interesting account of his recollections of the graffiti on the bridge east of Boone that we will highlight in Wednesday's Korner.
K-----K
     One business note: Virginia's Flowers, located just south of Redeker's, has closed but that building is being renovated and will be occupied soon by the former Quam Insurance group, which is no longer Quam's but is now called, "A Mic Insurance Agency."
K-----K
     Boone Connected Deaths: We learned of the sudden death this week of Tom Mickle, 55, FL. BHS-78. His parents are Boone residents Kathleen Swank Mickle and Jack Mickle..........Joni Wailes, 59, Boone........Jeffrey Benson, 63, Ames. A landscape architect, he and his wife, Margaret, spent many years assisting with the Lincoln Highway Association..........Jessie Van Cannon Ulrick, 90, Battle Creek, IA. Formerly of Boone/Madrid. Born in Boone. Parents were Noah and Ida Van Cannon. Attended Madrid H.S..........Larry Klinger, 72, Ogden. Truck Driver. Lived in Boxholm, then moved to Ogden. Boone area survivors include his wife, Sandra, and daughter, Stacie Vazquez, both of Ogden, brother Terry Klinger of Boone, brothers-in-law Jerry Carlson of Pilot Mound and Jerald Pharoah of Ogden and sister-in-law Carolyn Thacker of Ogden.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone Iowa, 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    




    

No comments:

Post a Comment