Wednesday, September 17, 2014

More Ups and Downs

     Great to hear from Jim Harken this week. Jim lived in Arizona for a time, suddenly had an awakening and realized Iowa was "home territory." He moved his family to Des Moines, worked there for a time and still lives there but now is working out of Ames for Iowa State Extension. He intends to eventually move his family to Ames.
     Jim wrote, "got to thinking about the ups and downs of elevators. The elevator at Citizens had been updated to push button by the time we moved to Boone. That would have been the mid-80's, making me the kid in this group. I've ridden it all the way to the top and, as a kid, that was pretty special. I had an aunt that was an elevator operator at Shrams Department Store in Burlington. It had the lever that she moved back and forth to get the car to go up and down. I remember going to see her a couple times and her taking us up and down. I think the building was five or six floors tall. She had to move the lever just right and do a little timing to line up the floor of the car with the floor of the building. It was pretty cool as a kid! She, too, knew what was on each floor. We lived in Jesup when I was a little kid and the funeral home across the street had an elevator that was moved by a rope and pulley system. It was inside the back door of the house and went from the basement all the way to the second floor. I think it was a 10 x 10 platform that was lifted by someone pulling on the ropes. It creaked and moaned and was pretty freaky for us kids, but did a good job lifting stuff. I'm told it got replaced in the late 1990's with a hydraulic number."
     Jim added, "I was in Boonetown a few weeks back and was amazed at the changes. The high school being gone was probably the most surprising. I knew it was being demolished but to see it gone..WOW! All the development on the southside. WOW! I remember talk as a kid that things would head that way, it's amazing to see it happen. I'm glad to see Boone still growing.......I guess KWBG still fits. You and Boone cross my mind a lot. Thanks Mo for all you do to promote."
K-----K
     The Kornerman says, "I don't think the courthouse elevator has been mentioned. I remember years ago when the elevator there reminded me of a jail cell. As far as operating it, as Jim mentioned, I remember when you had to line up the "floor of the car with the floor of the building." If not, there was a chance for a big time stumble.
K-----K
     Regarding our recent talk about collecting for papers, John Kueck wrote, "I was a Boone News Republican paperboy for more than five years. I banked at Boone State Bank. As I recall, if you had a savings account, they were more than happy to count out your change. I would take my collections to the teller window and the teller would efficiently count the money and give you your bills. Doing this weekly, 52 times a year, made you well know and the clerks would recognize you by name. It made me feel like a little business man."
K-----K
     Bill Wallace wrote in from Iowa City about a new high school football rivalry. He wrote, "the Ames High Little Cyclones are going to play the Iowa City Little Hawks in their first meeting ever. HyVee has sponsored a traveling trophy for the winner of this game so it appears there will be more of these games to come. This HyVee trophy got me to thinking about "the Bell" that went to the winner of the Boone-Ames football game. When did Boone and Ames stop playing each other in football and who has "the Bell? I always read your column and enjoy the mental images of the Boone I grew up in."
     Bill followed his initial note with the information that it actually was the second time the two schools had met on the football field. The first time was in the state playoffs. But, this was the first regular season meeting. By now, the game has been played and Ames won.
     Editor's note: Boone and Ames have not played football games for quite some time now but I can't give you an exact date. The Korner, quite some time ago, had some talk about the Bell and it seems to me that Ames was the last "owner."
K-----K
     From Alan Munson to Emily Munson and then to Tom Matt, the Korner received news of the BHS class of 1959 reunion. It will be held the weekend of October 17-18. This coming weekend, the class of 1969 will be gathering at the Adobe on Friday and Cedar Pointe on Saturday and then, of course, the class of 1944 will be having a 70th reunion September 26-27.
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Dale Bergman, 74, Stratford. Stratford High grad. Worked at Farmer's Co-op, Westrum Motors and was a farmer. Boone Area survivors include his wife, Louise, son Shawn, and daughter Jan Scheuermann all of Stratford.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment