Thursday, April 27, 2023

THE IMPORTANCE OF SIMPLE WORDS

     I have the widest smile and the biggest head you could imagine today. After all these retirement years.......and yes, a few periodic complements along the way, I, the Kornerman, feel like a full fledged "star" again. And, the impetus for this, "feeling" is so simple.

     I've admitted many times that when Korner action is slow, I ask myself. Why? You question the value of this undertaking. And then, something simple, but meaningful, happens and your world screams at you to just be patient.

     At our wonderful Dutch Oven Bakery this very morn, we arrived and were immediately greeted by an outgoing line of four lovely Boone ladies that many of you know. There certainly was no time for coaching. Each and every lady, one from Arizona, were unanimous....."We love the Korner and couldn't do without it." I wanted to cry.......the words were so simple but so very meaningful to this 88-year old. 

     I got to thinking (some my say, "oh no.") The importance of compliments in every day life can mean so much to anyone.

     I'd like to challenge you readers today. Even if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, understand that you can make a difference in a person's life......perhaps even lengthen or save a life. 

     Its really so simple......tell yourself, each morning, one of my main goals today is to approach someone, anyone who might appreciate some complimentary words.

     I guarantee the recipient will savor and love the attention and you, also, will feel the wonderful effect you had on some lucky person's day.

K-----K

     BOYD'S

     Just read your piece about Boyd's. When we lived in Iowa, we'd come to Boone to see my grandpa, aunts and uncles. My parents would stop at Boyd's. I remember one time they bought cottage cheese.....may have been a first time purchase at Boyd's. My mom served it a lot and I was determined I didn't like it. I ended up loving it and I'm still a cottage cheese eater today but I'm sure today's cottage cheese is not anything like Boyd's..........Karen Anderson, Minnesota.

     I remember when my brothers and sisters were growing up in Dayton. As a treat, when we came to Boone, we'd order Boyd's ice cream. Quite a few years later, my mom would ask us to pick up some ice cream and she said, "Make sure its Blue Bunny". Blue Bunny is good and can still be purchased in stores out here in Boise, Idaho. Some wonderful memories. Thank you......... Kathryn Vawter, Idaho.

     Mike Loehrer said the blog was "wonderful" and will garner a thousand and one compliments.............MJL, Dublin, Ohio.

     We met a friend for lunch at Taylor's Maid Rite in Marshalltown. I was astounded. They had one of the avocado colored malt making machines like Boyd's had. Even though they made malts with soft ice cream, they were nearly identical to Boyd's originals. They put ice cream in the metal container, then pumped in the desired ingredients, then more ice cream and concluded with the blending. They transferred the malt to a small glass and placed the metal container on the counter next to the malt. It was served with a small glass of ice water. Ahhhhh, the memory is reignited............Tom Peterson, Cedar Falls.

     Great article about Boyd's......my all-time favorite. I worked at the south side store for two years while in high school. I loved working with Jim and Ruth Johnson, Alan Bice and Sheila Anononson. Fun times indeed. Lila Swain worked in the West Boone store and is my sister in law. I would hope some former Boyd's employees would respond to your story. That would be a fun list to read.........John Hines, Arizona/Minnesota.

     I, the Kornerman, is going to take John's suggestion and "run with it" in a future addition.  I have lots of names on my list.

    Thanks to all for your response to the Boyd's story.

K-----K

     In answer to a special request, remember that the graveside services for Mary Jane Downey Echtermach will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 6, at Linwood. That's not too far away. Mary Jane, BHS-42, was a long time student nurse at BHS. Son Brett Downey, BHS-64, is one of the survivors.

K-----K

     Worldwide headquarters of Kelley's Korner is located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone umber is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

     

     




K-----K

    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment