Sunday, April 2, 2023

BOONE NATIVE DESERVES CREDIT

     Ya....O.K........I'm an old geezer but I still have some eyesight available.

     Watching television of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament.......much to my surprise.........I saw a "panned shot" of the scorer's table AND it was not a passing "shot." It appeared for, like, several seconds and I shouted, "that's Steve Shuey, right in the middle of that "shot."

     I couldn't get over the fact that I had just seen Boone native, Steve Shuey, BHS-79, on national television during that game. Obviously, being an old news geek, I had to check that out. So I contacted another Boone native, Ryan Workman, BHS-2002, who is on the Iowa State University athletic staff as Associate Director of Athletic Communications.

    Ryan replied, "Yes, that was Steve Shuey you saw on TV. He and Chris Andringa, sitting next to him, are our main stat crew for ISU men's and women's basketball and football. They also do the stats for the Big 12 Women's championship and since the Big 12 is the host for the Final Four, they do the stats for that as well. Steve has been doing stats for Iowa State for years. Ironically, Chris Andringa worked at KWBG with me back in the early 2000's, so I've known him for quite some time."

    So, there you have the story and its another Boone "feel good" story involving BHS grads who have made a name for themselves elsewhere.

    Steve's late dad, Kenny, had also worked for the ISU stat crew and his mother, Judy, was a co-worker of mine at the Iowa High School Athletic Association. Ryan's mom, Kathy, is a Boone resident and she and grandma, Marilyn Long, also of Boone, are proud of Ryan's ascent to an important position in the ISU athletic program.

    Hats off to both of these Boone natives who have done so well. The Kornerman loves stories like this that highlight Booneites who have made us all proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment