Saturday, November 5, 2022

SOME MAIL AND DOLL CLUB TALK

      Rick McCargar, BHS-67, emailed to say he really appreciated our keeping viewers up-to-date on area deaths. The Kornerman, of course, puts an emphasis on that service since there really is no other service of its kind anymore to keep people informed as to those losses of friends, relatives, classmates etc.

     Delores (Dee) Deal Burke, BHS-59, wrote, "our class has a monthly zoom session but some of our classmates are reluctant to tune in. The possible explanation is that we, of course, didn't grow up in the "techie generation" so many don't participate because they have never learned the skills needed for this type of connection. The year of our 80th birthday, classmates made a special effort to call others to just say "hi" and wish them another good year. Frequently, we discuss the KK blog just to make sure nothing was missed. Since I live fulltime in Mesa, AZ, your blog keeps me informed and I forward many items from it to classmates. We've seen many changes to our old hometown. My last visit was in August and the changes were significant, especially all the new homes in the area. Fortunately, my cousins took me on a tour around the area, around some of old haunts of ours like Little Wall Lake, Moingona, my grandparents former farmland south of Boone and, of course, the cemeteries where loved ones are interred."

K-----K

     Something in an Iowa obituary caught my Kelley's Korner eye recently. It claimed that the deceased lady was a member of the Iowa Kate Shelley Doll Club. That was news to me. I'd never heard of such a club so I did a little checking. This group includes friends who enjoy collecting dolls, looking at or just talking about dolls. I also discovered there is a United Federation of Doll Clubs and a club newsletter is distributed to collectors in Minnesota and Missouri, as well as Iowa. I understand that a Kate Shelley Doll has been donated to our Boone County Historical Society. The obituary I mentioned was that of Karen (Toodie) Smith, 77, of Des Moines and it indicated that she had held various positions, President....etc., in the Iowa Kate Shelley Doll Club.

K-----K

     Between his junior and senior years at BHS, Mike Loehrer, BHS-64, had a summer job at Percival's. He wrote, "it was an eye opener because it was my first job. We put together commercial refrigerators. What amazed me was the pay scale. I started at $1.67 an hour and worked my way up to the top level of $1.76. When I say I was amazed, I meant that there were men working there, raising their families on that amount of money, and in 1963, that didn't seem like a whole lot. The floor manager was Floyd Carr. He was a no-nonsense type of guy and chewed me out more than once. But, it turned out he was a big baseball fan, particularly of the Toreadors. When he found out I played on the Toreador team, his attitude toward me changed in a big way and that was a good thing. From then on, instead of chewing me out in front of others, he took me to a back room to get the well deserved butt chewing. I appreciated that."

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment