Wednesday, November 9, 2022

PERCIVAL STORY EVOKES SOME MEMORIES

     The story of Percival's in the last edition has provided some memories. Richard Young, BHS-57, wrote, "I was working at Percival's in 1963 and supporting a family on those wages ($1.76 an hour). Tough, but we managed. I remember 1963 because I was working at a press break in the N.E. corner of the sheet medal department when the announcement was made that President Kennedy had been shot. I'll never forget that moment." 

     I, the Kornerman, responded that I thought Roger Young, BHS-64, was a member of one of my Babe Ruth baseball teams. Richard answered that Roger is his younger brother. In our email conversation I also learned that the family included a younger sister, Jane, BHS-59, and an older sister, Elizabeth. I had also mentioned that I recalled a Liz Young who was an outstanding gymnast. I found out that was the older sister, Elizabeth, and she, eventually, became the mother of twin sons, Dave and Dan Eppert, who were "heavily involved" in gymnastics for years.

K-----K

     Tony Crandell, BHS-59, wrote, "During the summer of 1958, I was hired by Percival's to wire some new Percival incubators at Iowa State.. H.L. Cunningham, BHS Electronics Instructor, had recommended me as the employment was for one project only. The job was delayed so they put me on the line in the Boone factory. My first job was to cut 4" fiberglass for the Percival made Whitman Candy cases and then, even more, for the famous Percival butcher cases. When I had enough cut for the existing orders, they had me cleaning sheets of glass for the butcher cases. We used only our hands, pumice, and water. They wanted no chance of stray fibers from a rag sticking to the glass as the glass was layered when installed. I missed a good opportunity to become a successful criminal as I had absolutely no trace of fingerprints for the rest of the year. I was so glad when the ISU job finally started."

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment