Wednesday, April 6, 2022

THE KORNER INVADES IDAHO

   Heavens! Who would have thunk it? The Korner has invaded Idaho. That's probably a first.

   Dayton native Kathryn Murphy Vawter, who lives in Boise, wrote, "I thought your name sounded familiar after I read the article in Our Iowa magazine. I associated you with being an announcer for sports events when I was growing up. I did not know you had a blog. I was so excited to read it, I've spent the last couple days reading all of it. It is so interesting. I have some cousins who live in Boone, Vicki Stark Stoner and Brett and Julie Bjustrom, and then my first cousin, Conklin Gay, BHS-46, lives on Third street and his daughter and son-in-law, Marsha and Keith Eppert, live in Luther. I also have a cousin, Carl Waller, I'm very close to. He lives on Shakespeare Avenue in Stratford. I remember when I was in grade school, we went to the eye doctor in Boone and we'd always stop and get an ice cream cone before going home. My love will always be for the farmlands, lightning bugs and thunderstorms of Iowa."
K-----K
   Ogden's Bernie Lewiston and my classmate, John McPherson, BHS-53, both enjoyed the Our Iowa gig. Bernie wrote, " Nice story. I spend lots of time on my ham radio station beginning at 5:30 a.m." and John said, "I remember Rocco's Ice and Coal. My folks got ice there and I worked at the box factory during my high school days."
   EDITOR'S NOTE: When I was a young lad....yes, I once was....there was a neighbor, Harold Gustafson, who had a ham radio operation and that always opened my "young" eyes when I'd watch him connect with someone in Russia or Africa or somewhere else "way out there." That was in the late 40's and I spent time with Harold's sons, Don, BHS-50, and Dean, who were just a bit older than me. 
   While I, the Kornerman, have the floor.....let me add that Lauren Taylor, BHS-69, made reference to what I had said in the last edition about watching the Glen Campbell concert on You Tube. Lauren was very impressed by Glen's rendition of the "William Tell Overture." Oh my, yes! Such talent that man had.
  AND....just out of the blue. I'm blown away by the number of exceptional young golf stars there are these days. Remember when Sneed and Jones, followed by Palmer and Nicklaus, just alternated wins on the circuit?? No more. I just heard yesterday that there have been NINE first time winners on the current tour. Not only that.... its not unusual anymore to see current stars like Rory McElroy, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson  get "cut" from completing play in the final rounds of a tourney. What a dynamic change in that sport.
   ONE MORE THING.......I guess I'm still the only one who THINKS at one time, many years ago, residential mail was delivered TWICE A DAY in Boonetown. I wish someone would either verify that this might be true or say it absolutely never happened. My mind needs relief on this thought.
K-----K
   BOONE CONNECTED/AREA DEATHS
   Anne Marie Williams Ahrens, 76, Moingona. BHS-64. She was first married to George L. Ahrens, then to Albert Lennartz for the past 29 years. Had a passion for horses and the outdoors. A lifetime member of the Quarter Horse Association and has earned a 50-year buckle from the Eminence Cross Country Trail Ride. Has been employed at Iowa State University. Survivors include her husband, Albert, and four daughters, Julie Pike of Ames, Jeri Fuqua of Madrid, Jeni Ross of Ogden and Jade Ahrens of Prairie City. Services will be held at a later date.
   Lenora Mae Hasstedt, 94, Boone/Eastern Star. Survivors include her son, Frederick, of Illinois and grandchildren. Services are pending.
   Mary Louise Poling, 95, rural Boone County. Born in Osceola. Stanhope HS. Married Junior William Poling in 1947. A devoted farm wife who was a 4-H leader and Sunday School teacher for many years. Raised beautiful flowers, winning many awards. Survivors include two sons, Phil and Randy, and a daughter, Barb Thompson. Services in Boone.
   Stephen E. Bennett, 75, Madrid. Survivors include his wife, Judy, sons, Matt, Mark and Clark and a brother, Brian. Services in Madrid.
   Melvin Marlene (Rady) Radebaugh, 87, Rippey. Born near Rippey. Grand Junction HS-53. Had an early love of music, singing and playing the saxophone. At age 15, with the help of his high school band instructor, Glenn Peterson, who was a member of Ogden's Carl Nebbe band, he began his 69 year Big Band career. He played with the Four Jacks and a Jill, the Za-Ga-Zig Shrine Sax Sextet, the Riney Rinehart and Al Welsh bands, in addition to performing at many churches and for weddings. Married Catherine Rothfus in 1977. Retired from Rippey Savings Bank after 30 years. Survivors include his wife, Cathy, brother Bill and sister Barb. Services in Rippey.
K-----K
    Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
  
   
  
  
  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment