Saturday, April 2, 2022

A LOT OF........STUFF

   Go ahead.....tell me I'm way "off the rails" on this BUT I ask...."Wasn't there a time in the 40's or 50's when residential mail was delivered TWICE a day? 

K-----K
   Who remembers the coal mines, the clay products companies, Rocco's Ice and Coal, Linderblood's Bottling Co., Holst Publishing, the hosiery mills, box factory and the hemp plant?
   The Kornerman heard from Don Nystrom, BHS-56, this week and he was informing me (us) of finding a college thesis regarding industries throughout the years in Boone County. Don wrote, "very long and kind of dry, but I found it very interesting." The things mentioned earlier were all prominent before 1940.
   I took a look and its true......very interesting. If you think it might be of interest......
https://www.libraryofbook.com/books/an-industrial-history-of-Boone-county-iowa.
   Thanks Don....good to hear from you.
K-----K
   Received some other mail this week. Marcia Bohlen Silha of Austin, TX wrote, "I listen to you almost every day to find out what is happening in Boone. Now, I live in Austin, but I think about my friends in Boone often. I have fond memories of living there. I think about my dad, Joe, and his insurance business on Keeler Street and the friends I still have from my 1961 BHS graduation."
   Karen Elsberry Ryan, BHS-63, was asked by Doug McLeod's widow, Linda, if she would let the Kornerman know that there will be a memorial luncheon for Doug's relatives and friends on May 10, at 11 a.m. at Cedar Pointe Golf Course.
AND
a couple people have mentioned that they saw a short story I had written for Our Iowa magazine in the most recent edition.
   Bernard (Bud) Legg of Ames, who succeeded me as the Publications Director when I retired from the Iowa High School Athletic Association wrote, "what a great story that evolved from the time you took to encourage him. So good to see your name in print again."
   Classmate Tom Canfield, BHS-53, and his wife, Judy, and one of my coffee buddy's, Tom Matt, BHS-60, also saw it.
   Actually, I had submitted this story, probably two or more years ago. Our Iowa apparently holds on to files and when in need, searchs for material it can use.
   Anyway, its a story I think I've mentioned before in the Korner. When son Chris was in junior high, he played a basketball game at Dayton and a very young fellow was the game referee. I was very impressed with his work.....so much so that I wrote him a note...encouraging him to continue his progression as a basketball official. One night, coming back from Darin Olofson's Buena Vista graduation, I was pulled over by an Iowa patrolman for speeding. When he checked my driver's license, he commented that he thought he knew me. That I had once written him a complimentary note about his basketball officiating. Yes, it was that same young man AND he didn't give me a ticket and said, "I took your advice and worked up to officiating varsity competition."
   PART TWO....the rest of the story. This part was edited out of the Our Iowa story. That same night, in that same car, Jo's mother, was sitting in the back seat AND she had been one of the officer's teachers at Dayton High School.
K-----K
   I noticed on You Tube this week....a Glen Campbell concert. It was done in Sioux Falls for Public Television. I decided to check it out.....not intending to watch the entire hour and 25 minute presentation. However, I got interested and watched the entire concert. He, of course, presented all his famous songs and I was slightly surprised by the one that drew the most audience attention. Not Wichita Lineman or Galveston or On the Way to Phoenix etc......NO, Rhinestone Cowboy seemed to be the audience favorite of all. Really enjoyed the entire show.....at no cost....and from my office. An outstanding orchestra, the Sioux Falls Symphony provided the background music.
K-----K
   BOONE CONNECTED/AREA DEATHS
 
   Barbara "Barb" Wilhelm Broderick, 80, Clive. A cancer and COVID victim. Born in Boone. BHS-60. Good Toreador basketball player from a family that enjoyed horses and basketball. Graduated from Mercy Hospital School of Nursing in 1963. Married Tom Broderick in 1964. Worked as a nurse for a time before being a stay-at-home mother. In 1972, the Broderick couple opened their first gift shop, "Giftique" and in 1977, "Broderick's China and Gifts" at Valley West Mall. She ran that business for 21 years prior to retirement in 1998. She loved time spent in Maui and at their cabin in Minnesota. Survivors include her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters and several sisters, Margaret Sherbon, BHS-58; Jody Fagerland, BHS-65; Bonnie Beal, BHS-67 and Kathy Wolfgram, BHS-68. Two other sisters, Patricia Trulin, BHS-62 and Karen Struck, BHS-63, have passed. Services in Waukee.
   Elias Samuel Pfrimmer, 18 months, Ogden. Born in Las Vegas of parents, Chance Pfrimmer and Caitlynn Miller, with heart surgery required shortly after birth. Survivors include his parents, a brother, grandparents Wesley and Lauryl Pfrimmer, Karen Shizuru and Cari Miller, great-grandparents and aunts and uncles. Services in Boone.
   Arlyce L. State Rout, 84, Boone. Born in Dows. Clarion HS-56. Married William Z. Rout Jr. in 1956 in Dows. The couple moved to Boone where she worked as a telephone operator before moving back to the Hancock County area. Arlyce moved back to Boone in 2010 and William died in 2013. She loved growing flowers and was an award winner. The couple also enjoyed numerous camping/fishing trips. After battling cancer, Arlyce became a mentor and was pen pals with Boone area school children. Survivors include three sons, a sister and brother. Services in Dows.
    Sheri Lynn Sandon McGinnis, 73, Ankeny, formerly of Boone. Born in Council Bluffs. BHS-66. Attended Iowa Central Community College, majoring in social services. Spent many years in retail clothing management in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and California before settling in Ankeny. Survivors include her husband, Kevin McGinnis, of Ankeny, a sister, nieces, nephews, an aunt and several cousins, including Jamie Brown and Janelle Grabill of Boone. Graveside service in Moingona.
   Kenneth Pies, 94, Madrid. Survivors are two daughters, including Denise Hiveley of Madrid. Services in Madrid.
K-----K
   Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
 
  
   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment