Wednesday, February 27, 2019

REMEMBERING DR. W.H. LONGWORTH

     Mark Campbell, BHS-67, wrote in regard to comments about Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Tom Quinlan, his passing and the Kornerman's comments about T.Q. and Rollie Peterson. "I enjoyed your comments about Rollie and T.Q. I met T.Q. a few times. What a great guy! Jerry Sheeder spoke fondly of him as that's where he started his radio career, with Tom in Perry. He was a kid from Guthrie Center who would drive to KDLS in Perry for some experience. My buddy, Ray Dennis, also worked there for a short time. I am certain you recall Bob Brown, who was a KWBG alum. Very good talent. He later ran the KDLS satellite station in Jefferson for a time. He then became a trooper-pilot for the Iowa State Patrol based in Cedar Rapids. At one point, he had enough time to vest and decided to go with Rockwell Collins as a corporate pilot. He was in the midst of vacation time before officially starting with Rockwell and had a heart attack. He quickly dumped the job with Rockwell and pulled his retirement papers as he was expecting a lengthy recovery from the heart issue and had plenty of sick leave to apply. By the way, whatever happened to another KWBG alum, Fred Lark?"
     The Kornerman replies: "Jerry Sheeder, now deceased, had a great radio career at KWMT in Fort Dodge. I remember Jerry Roberts, who started his career with Frosty Mitchell at KGRN in Grinnell, also spent time at the KDLS satellite station in Jefferson. Fred Lark (remember Lark's ranch out by the Boone waterworks?) worked some at KWBG but later owned a radio station out west somewhere. I don't have a clue about him in these later years. The thing I remember about Fred was his singing career. He recorded a few songs and was very good. I particularly remember his rendition of "St. Louis Blues.""
K-----K
     John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "I was wondering if anyone had this book they would sell or give to me or if, by chance, it is available online. The Kornerman told you viewers in a recent edition about classmate Dick Longworth's book. It was also mentioned that Dick's dad, Dr. W.H. Longworth, had written a history of medicine in Boone County. Dick replied, "dad took that on as a retirement project and got a lot of joy out of it. After his death, Dr. Lou Greco updated it. I believe both versions are available at the Boone County Historical Society."" John concluded, "I remember well Dr. Longworth making house calls for me and my sister."
     The Kornerman replies: "No one has more respect for Dr. Longworth than the Kornerman. He probably saved my life when I had polio/spinal meningitis as a seventh grader. There are lots of things in my past I don't remember BUT I sure remember back then having a severe case of restless legs and a stiff neck. I also remember the spinal tap and the drugs I was given each hour for several days. Obviously, I recovered, missed so much school time I repeated seventh grade. Strangely, I became an athlete, lived "normal" years for quite some time until a thing called,"Post Polio Syndrome" caught up with me. That is a situation when polio actually comes back for a second time, with the same old symptoms......many years after the first invasion. No spinal tap or special drugs this time but the legs don't work like I want them too now and there are a few other pests. No complaints though, I've had lots of good years and I thank Dr. W.H. Longworth for making that length possible."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Ron Christofferson, 61, Des Moines. His dad, Maurice Christofferson, is deceased. His mother, Marie Swank Christofferson, BHS-48, is a survivor and there are several other Swank survivors in the Boone area..........Inez Pagliai Anderson, 94, Illnois. Lifelong resident of Madrid. Survivors include a sister, Rosie Fraulini, formerly of Boone.........Betty Cory, 90, Boone..........Joan Woolson, 87, Boone. BHS-49. Earned a degree in elementary education at Waldorf College and taught at Jordan. Married Fred Woolson in 1952. Fred and a daughter, Lura Stukenholtz, both of Boone, survive. Two boys and another daughter also survive........Coleen Manderscheid, 87, Boone. A homemaker and physician's wife. She married Robert Mandersheid in 1951. A son and five daughters survive, including two daughters in Boone, Joan and Diane Byriel..........Diane Cain Bosch, Des Moines, Ogden area connections.......Adeline Crock Phillis, 89, Panora, Ogden area connections. Martha Jane Darr, 97. Services in Boxholm Saturday.........May Axtell, 83, Madrid.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment