Wednesday, December 21, 2016

A Good Plan

     In answer to last week's Korner whining, Loren Frazier, BHS-58, wrote, "I understand your frustration, not being able to get the grocery ads. I gave up on print newspapers a few years ago when I got a letter from our local rag that they were going to charge me extra for the "black Friday" edition to cover their cost of the large amount of ads. I called them and pointed out that I was sure the companies placing the ads had already paid that cost and I was not willing to "overpay" the newspaper. In the same call, I cancelled my subscription. This was with both the Council Bluffs Nonpareil (daily, six days a week) and the Omaha World Herald. I still peruse their online offerings and find that enough to keep me informed of local events. Regarding the grocery ads, I shop nearly exclusively at Fareway. I signed up on their website and each week, they send me an email with a link to their weekly ad. I click on the link and make my shopping list. They, occasionally, have coupons you can print out. I assume HyVee has a similar availability on their website."
     The Kornerman says that sounds like a good and more reliable plan. I'm sure the stores will gladly supply their website information. Like it or not, the "online era" is underway. I just read that the 50-percent mark has been passed. Just over half of America now relies "online" for many or most of their daily information needs.
K-----K
     The Kornerman's remembrance of eating on road trips while a Toreador athlete garnered a couple responses. Doug Miller, BHS-71, wrote, "I remember when our basketball team traveled to Tama-Toledo, that was the only time we had  a  post-game meal. Never did we have a pre-game meal. I also remember traveling with the golf team and I believe we were given a sack lunch. Kind of forgot about those days until you brought it up in the Korner."
     Mike Loehrer, BHS-64, added, "Not often, but once in awhile the football team ate after games. The obvious trips were to Grinnell and Oskaloosa but I do remember we did eat once at Marshalltown. Maybe its because we won, 14-7, and if I'm not mistaken, that guaranteed the CIC 1963 championship. It was a big deal for most of the guys because they were able to order steak. But, for seven or eight of us, who happened to be Catholic, we munched down on fish sticks since the church rules were somewhat different in the 60's."
K-----K
     Last edition, we very briefly presented several predictions visionaries had posed regarding our countries future in "everyday living." Several viewers expressed interest in that. As a result, we'll go into more detail, today and in future editions, about what is called the Fourth Industrial Revolution or "Welcome to the Exponential Age."
     With the advent of self-driving cars, the visionaries say that around 2020, the complete industry will start to be disrupted. Quoting, "you don't want to own a car anymore. You will call a car with your phone, it will show up at your location and drive you to your destination. You will not need to park it, you only pay for the driven distance and can be productive while riding. Our kids will never get a driver's license and will never own a car. This will change the cities, because we will need 90-95 percent fewer cars for that. We can transform former parking space into parks. 1.2 million people die each year in car accidents worldwide. We now have one accident every 100,000km but with autonomous driving, that will drop to one accident in 10 millionkm and a million lives each year will be saved. Most car companies might become bankrupt. Insurance companies will have massive troubles because, without accidents, insurance will become 100x cheaper."
    Wow! As wild as that may sound, just think..........television, smart phones, internet.......they've all "come out of the woodwork" in my lifetime.
K-----K
     Barry Wills, BHS-58, sent me some "Ramblings of a Retired Mind." (1) Application blanks always ask who is to be called in case of an emergency. I think you should just write, "an ambulance." (2) I was thinking women should put pictures of missing husbands on beer cans. (3) I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized people didn't like me anyway. (4) I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse. I can't afford one, so I'm wearing my garage door opener.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Gale Mangus, 86, BHS-49. Passed away in late September. His wife, Marilyn Otis Manges, BHS-49, had passed away in 2013. Survivors include former Boone residents, a brother-in-law, Bill Otis, and a sister-in-law, Judy Otis.........Donald Schoof, 94, Boone. Don and his wife, Verna, now deceased, moved to Boone in 1964 and he began work at ISU. Was there 25 years prior to retirement.........Royal Fortune, 88, Born in Boone and attended grade school in Boone.........Donna Perry, 88. Lived at the Cedars in Madrid prior to living her last year at Westhaven in Boone.......Dixie Danielson, 84, Madrid. Was an honored poet. She and husband, Virgil, deceased, were lifelong residents of Madrid........Emma Olson, 92. Boone area survivor is a grandson, David Romp, of Boone.......Harold Dunkelberger, 89, Formerly of Pilot Mound/Boone. Attended Boxholm schools before graduating from ISU. Was married in Boone and was a farmer. His wife, Nanette Pestotnik Dunkelberger, survives. She lives at the Iowa Veterans Home in Marshalltown. Boone area survivors include son, Dave, of Ames and son-in-law, Jay Clausen, of Boxholm.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment