Saturday, March 9, 2024

REMARKS ON MUSTAPHA COLUMN

     The recent Korner column about the "Greatness of Jack Mustapha Jr." has produced many comments, particularly from fellow baseball players of that era, mid-60's.

     Pat Ahlstrom, BHS-64, wrote, "musty definitely had the ability to pitch in the major leagues......would have loved to have seen that."

     Dick Musser, BHS-64, said, "besides his pitching, I was always amazed at how he could get hits going to left field, even when we played for that."

     John Hinz, BHS-64, wrote, "in my three years of Little League and three more years of Babe Ruth baseball, I remember Jack's speed like it was yesterday. Six years yielded only two singles by me, hit by pitches three times and the rest were all strikeouts. His fast ball caused great pain as did Mike Loehrer's. You never forget those pitches."

     John Hendricks, BHS-64, said, "Jack was truly gifted. The times I was his catcher, from Little League through Babe Ruth and high school ball he was a "oner." I always wore a big sponge in my mitt to protect my palm from his fast ball. The back injury was cruel fate since there was little doubt he was headed for the big time."

     Regarding the story about pole vaulter Clyde Hovick, Mark Campbell, BHS-67, recalled, "walking through the gym, I'd see Clyde walking on his hands.....back and forth. When track season began and he began pole vaulting it had become clear why he did that. I remember I was the P.A. announcer that day and sat beside Athletic Director Howard Stutzman and we watched him clear the bar. It was so exciting. Thanks for prompting the memory."

K-----K

     Back to recalling one of the remembrances I had of my long media career as related in my October, 90-minute talk, "BOONE-My Kind of Town," that I gave at the Boone County Historical Society.

     I humbly say that I think I gave one of the most "warmly received" commencement talks EVER at the Boone Campus, Des Moines Area Community College.

     My boss, Bernie Saggau, was one of the most outstanding motivational/inspirational speakers in the entire country and gave hundreds, if not thousands, of commencement speeches from border to border. In his career, he probably spoke at every single high school in Iowa.

     One morning at work at the Iowa High School Athletic Association, Bernie came into my office and it was plain to see and hear that he was struggling with some kind of illness. He indicated to me that he was scheduled to give a speech that day but didn't think he could do it......and I would have to replace him.

     I said, "when?" and he replied, "this morning......10 a.m.......at Boone Campus. Its the DMACC commencement ceremony."

     I, of course, was stunned....that and now.......but he tried to reassure me that it would be O.K.......I had done some high school commencements.....and could surely come up with some material to adequately replace him.

    I reported for the 10 a.m. assignment, gave the commencement speech and was absolutely amazed at the response. The graduates seemed especially pleased and happy and excited and even the parents and others in the audience were equally as joyful.......lots of hugging and general happiness.

   Someone had timed the speech......about seven minutes.......all those graduates and parents were ecstatic......and as I was gloating about my great success.......I, suddenly realized,.the graduates weren't overwhelmed with what I had to say........they simply wanted to get that diploma and quickly "get out of Dodge" and their new life.

 K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices....htt://kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

    


   

No comments:

Post a Comment